Back to the Pines

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Hope all has been right with in the world for all of you over the last month or so. Most of my time has been spent in PA; Thunderswamp Trail, Black Forest, and the Billy Goat in MD. Highlight of recent outings for me was Trail Days in Damascus VA amid some rain and crazy hikers.
Returned to the Pines for a kayak trip from Speedwell to just past the Bodine Field site over the weekend. Water levels were doable, but I did have to do some walking and pulling early on. The crowds were insane!!! I have never, anywhere, seen a river that crowded with church groups, boyscouts, and others. Overturned canoes were everywhere as well as a deafening constant howl from the kids. Guess it serves me right for trying to do that on the weekend.
Forgot to mention that I did spend a day doing Jersey type stuff, went to Wheaton Village to watch the glass blowing. While the exhibits are a bit dated and dont do a good job capturing life in that particular industry watching the artist and residents in action is quite fun.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
grendel said:
piney boy,
how was the BFT?I am planning to get up there in October.I have never hiked there in the summer.

I went almost four weeks ago, so I caught some really nice spring weather; days in the mid 70's nights in the 40's. The BFT is a buttkicker no doubt filled with lots of climbs, but the views are well worth the effort, one of the prettiest trails in PA. Also saw a ton of wildlife including three bear.
Sometime this month I'm gonna be doing Ricketts Glen, 23 fantastic waterfalls, 5 or 6 over 30 ft high, but relatively easy hiking and carcamping cause bp'ing is illegal in the park. That is gonna be a HO-:jd: Down!!!