Backing up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

If you have been neglecting to back up your photo's or files I want to suggest you do that as soon as possible. I have over 40 years of information and photo's that I don't want to loose so I have been keeping a backup of my files at another location in the event something happened to mine. For the past few weeks I have been having unusual problems with my computer and three times this week I had to restore the system and files. Yesterday morning I could not get my computer to start so I took it to Apple and their testing confirmed my drive was dead. I have taken steps to have my files stored on three drives so that in the future if two of them fail I still will have my files. I strongly suggest if your files are important to you that you back them up twice and move one copy elsewhere.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And just as important as backing up is testing whether your backup routine works every once in a while by doing a recovery test. I do it twice a year; on new years eve and independence day.

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Photos and Important Files should be stored away on a backup drive and put in a fire proof box

True. However, there always is theft where they take your computer and the box and you have nothing left.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Photos and Important Files should be stored away on a backup drive and put in a fire proof box

Should be stored offsite. A safe deposit box will work with the newer, small XHD's, but probably not if you have a ton of photo's, unless the backups are compressed.