Backyard frog pix

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
No, it's a canna plant sitting in a half of wine barrel. That frogs been keeping me company all summer. Last year we had a large bull frog named hannibal the cannibal because he ate the other frogs. One day he was hopping around with the backend of a mouse hanging out of his mouth.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Vertebrates consumed by the bullfrog include: deermouse (and several other spp. of mice), field vole, moles,several spp. of shrews, small snakes, small birds. If it can be caught and swallowed, the bullfrog'll eat it. During a capture-mark-release project on bullfrogs I saw one caught that was in the process of swallowing - with obvious difficulty - a little brown bat.
Dave

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
WOW! When I was kid growing up in Monmouth county I spent a great deal of my summers perfecting the art of frog catching...considered myself an expert. This provided for fairly high status among the 11 year olds in the, once,farming community of Lincroft NJ. Every year we would have the FROGTOWN FROLICS, the biggest event of the year next to Christmas, where we would have frog races(I think I got a few ribbons around here somewhere). Anyway, never saw a mammal or repetile being consumed by frogs, but we used to throw things in the water and the big bull frogs would immeditely swallow them. Anything, sticks, sweetgums, acorns, anything that would splash and float. they would spit them out right away. Seems like they were always eating each other. Good times....

Jeff

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I have a pond in my yard right under my son's bedroom window. For the past three years I have had the same type of frog living in it. I have looked at all your frog and toad photos, and cannot find my backyard friend. I can tell you this, that frog screams like a woman! Scared us all to death the first time we heard it. My kids and I were looking at WWE wrestling, when a twosome came out with their signature sirens blaring! I believe the frog thought the sirens were a mating call, and he surely answered! We finally located the sound and shined a flashlight out the window to find the frog sitting on the edge of the pond. We actually got to see him sing, while blowing out his throat! Amazing!