Bad Winter Coming!

Arey

Scout
Oct 17, 2007
Atl. Co. near the ocean
While we're on this subject, how long is kerosene good for? I bought three containers last year or the year before. I've been thinking of turning them in at the next Atl. Co. hazardous waste day and buying three new containers. I also have three containers of butane that are a couple of years old. Should they be replaced?.
How do you get rid of old butane canisters.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
While we're on this subject, how long is kerosene good for? I bought three containers last year or the year before. I've been thinking of turning them in at the next Atl. Co. hazardous waste day and buying three new containers. I also have three containers of butane that are a couple of years old. Should they be replaced?.

Throw them in the camp fire :)

I have a butane can that I use occasionally to refill a portable soldering iron. The same can for more than a decade and it is still fine.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Just check it for water; it is lighter than water and they are insoluble, then test it. I have used 2 year old k1 with no problem.

Butane does not go bad. Contact your local county recycling center for disposal. Don't puncture, crush or burn them :eek:
explosion_e0.gif

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Look on the bright side…. if we have another cold winter, maybe that will be enough to get rid of the pine beetles. I'm sure that last winter already took a toll on them.

The cold winter and spring seemed really beneficial to the woods down here. For several years we had warm winters/springs and everything bloomed way too early. Then late frost and freezing did a lot of damage. This year the frost danger was already gone before things started to bloom and the foliage is beautiful.

I thought I had already cut and split enough wood for the winter, but I guess I'll keep working on it...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here is the latest from The Weather Centre; looks like a cold winter with little snow. The boring details at the link, maps are easier on the eyes :)

officialOVERALL.png

officialtemp.png

officialforecastSNOW.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Who knows what will happen later, but it was about 80 here yesterday and upper 70's now. No hint of frost in the NWS forecast for the next week either. Looks like a lot of rain is headed our way though...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Who knows what will happen later, but it was about 80 here yesterday and upper 70's now. No hint of frost in the NWS forecast for the next week either. Looks like a lot of rain is headed our way though...

Yes, nice cold front on its way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The first Snowy Owl of the season is already here. Some folks are saying we may be in for an interesting turkey day.