Bald Eagle Sighting Tonight 3-24-04

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I came within 30 yards of a bald eagle tonight on my daily hike through the woods near my house.
He was perched in a large pitch pine overlooking some abandoned bogs and my springer spooked him.
He flew about 60 yards and perched again in a dead maple out in the bog.
This is the second time I have seen one in my area and they are apparently doing well.
Should I post the lat/lon of the tree?
Just kidding.
Scott :lol:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
Just kidding.

That would cause some commotion!

Lets hope you see young ones at a late date. Congratulation on seeing one. I have never noticed one.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Did you know that US Fish and Wildlife is considering delisting them completely because they are doing so well?
There are 42 breeding pairs in NJ as of the winter count, and the largest percentage of them are on the Maurice River. I've seen them several times over the Mullica when we were at Harrisville.
When we were at the bluffs right before raptor day on the Maurice River we saw one snatch a duck out of midair, and we saw six others feasting on carrion.
Amazing sight!
Renee

B

BarryC

I saw one sometime last year (can't remember when exactly). It was on one of our golf courses where I work. He was perched in a tree for a short time. Once he was in flight he was being chased and taunted by a seagull!
But what a magnificent bird! He was the most beautiful bird I had ever seen.
RednekF350 said:
I came within 30 yards of a bald eagle tonight on my daily hike through the woods near my house.
He was perched in a large pitch pine overlooking some abandoned bogs and my springer spooked him.
He flew about 60 yards and perched again in a dead maple out in the bog.
This is the second time I have seen one in my area and they are apparently doing well.
Just kidding.