Bald Eagle Spotted

Location was Washington Township, just west of Fries Mill Rd. via back yard window.

Brief sighting, but was able to see white head and brown/black plumage fairly clearly.Range was about 30 yards.

It was about the size of our ubiquitous turkey vultures , but I noticed it seemed to use a far more aggressive flying technique, so I watched it more closely than usual.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
They're definitely making a comeback in the area, or so it seems. I saw one a little over a month ago close to Bamber while duck hunting. My dad just saw one a week or two ago up by the Keyport area of the Raritan Bay. Its nice to see them in the pines.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I saw one last fall near Wells Mill. I know there used to be a nesting pair in the cell tower by the old Denny's in Bricktown. I am not sure if they are still using the nest. Manasquan WMA and Manasquan Reservoir are a couple of good spots to go watch for Bald Eagles. I have seen them at both locations.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We had a bald eagle attempt to "steal" a cripple from us this past season while goose hunting.
The cripple got out of the field and made into a long driveway leading up to a farm house. The eagle swooped and pounced and then perched on the goose's back. It started ripping at the rear end on top of its back and at the base of the tail feathers. I was surprised it wouldn't have an instinct to go for the breast meat.
We hopped into the truck and drove around to the house and recovered the goose after my son ran up the driveway.

We weren't able to get any good action photos of the eagle but I did take one of my son recovering the goose. We considered allowing the eagle to claim its prize but the location in someone's driveway would have made for some very bad PR for us. We intended to hunt this field all season and did.
Later when dressing it out, we recovered an old .17 cal. pellet out of the breast. It just wasn't this goose's lucky day.

We have a few active eagles in the general area and I watch them cruising for fish pretty often. I have watched them perch and carefully eyeball flocks of woodies on the water in the early season too, although I have never seen them take a duck.

The recovery. Note the feathers to the right from the plucking eagle.
img_1503.jpg

Eagle Damage on top of the goose's back.
img_1504.jpg

The recovered .17 cal. pellet. Likely from someone shooting the goose with a pellet gun in a yard or a park. The eagle was a little more lethal.
img_1508.jpg

Reactions: dogg57 and Teegate

JohnD.

Apr 19, 2012
Dorchester, NJ
I have been seeing quite a few recently here in Cumberland county. About 2-3 weeks ago I had two juvenile eagles fly directly over my house only about 20' above the roof. I live about a quarter mile or less from the Maurice River across the woods. During spring and summer I see ospreys fly over just about every few days but not too often do I see eagles fly over the house and never that low.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
IMG_8483a-001.JPG
These pictures were taken from my kitchen window. Two eagles fed on this goose. My guess is male and female. They fed one at a time, the other would set in a tree across the lake and keep an eye out. There was a third one but I am not sure he was with them. It was young maybe four years old, not all its white head or tail feathers

IMG_8476a.JPG

IMG_8484a.JPG
IMG_8485a.JPG
IMG_8486a.JPG
IMG_8489a.JPG

IMG_8499a.JPG

IMG_8523a.JPG

wesley86

Feb 23, 2013
Mt Holly
www.grandpoems.com
I'm surprised the pellet isn't destroyed, I know the hollow point ones completely flatten out when fired. I've seen eagles on the edge of the delaware river and I'm sure I seen one elsewhere too so I'm not surprised. If we can have turkeys and vultures and what not why wouldn't there be eagles.

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
I saw one on lake Oswego on 1/15 back in one of the shallow coves on the east side. Scared him off his perch and he took off up river. I thought I've been seeing one for a few years there now but actually got close enough to know for sure this time. There's also one living on the batsto river south of pleasant mills rd. I've seen that one 3 of the last 4 times I've been down there in almost the same spot every time.