Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Nice photo's! Thanks.

Comcast has serious name restrictions for filenames. You must use basic characters or it will not accept them. For example do not leave spaces between words. It will not accept the file.

Wrong

testing this.jpg

Correct

testing_this.jpg

Or

testingthis.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by being hard using an FTP client. The only reason it may be hard is because you are not using a Mac :) As I have always said windows and windows software is not friendly. And never even waste your time using anything from Comcast concerning a website. Just use the space to store files with the FTP client.

There may be better FTP clients to use that the one I gave you the link to. I use a very very basic Mac client and it is so easy to use. Since I don’t use Windows much I am not up on the various clients that area available.

On the Mac I just launch the program and choose the website I want to use.

1.jpg

Then I choose Login

2.jpg

I connect and just drag the file into the window. That’s it. You can see in this photo where I am dragging the photo titled IMG_8381.jpg at the bottom right into the window where it is about to load in. It takes all of 10 seconds.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate1/3.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for all your help Guy. Next time you come by, I'll show you what I mean by clunky. Its not the FTP client, I think its me expecting too much.

And thanks all for the fine comments about the photos. I do like this new Canon camera. The davenport lake gets sun at this time of year directly horizontally on the dead trees only for a certain time in the morning (like 7:30 am).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am thrilled you like the camera. I looked your photo's over and that confirms to me I will be buying a Canon again.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Bob, what camera did you get.

Guy, I agree with you on Comcast and web pages. With all this time on my hands I took a day and tried to build a page. It took awhile and I was finally successful, but the result was less than impressive. Like you, I use it for storage so I don't crud up Ben's site with non pines pictures.

Bob, I use Comcasts upload utility:

https://publish.comcast.net/cgi-bin/pp_upload

It works fine for me. You have to login first, before using the link.

Ed

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Those photos are great - I love the lighting on the trees and the reflections in the water. Nice job!

The concept of FTP may be a little foreign to people who aren't computer nerds like me.. I usually just open a terminal session and fire up the command line version of ftp, like I did nearly 20 years ago on a unix system :) But I know there are good clients for the PC - Ben can help there since we were discussing them in the "what I don't like about my mac" thread.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife just bought the PowerShot A530. I have been playing with it for an hour and still have not figured out all the features. There are much more than mine.

As usual I like it, except I am concerned about the zoom dial. It is spring loaded and I wonder if I was using it in the woods it would get dirty and stop working. And with only two AAA batteries I ran them dead in no time.

A bigger card is a must since it only holds 10 photo's at 5MP.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Buddy can't take a camera shot yet :)

If you can tell me where I was (within 2 miles radius) when I rigged that shot by putting the camera on the truck body, I'll give you $1.

One guess only. Offer good until 6pm tomorrow.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Even though Steve won, how about a clue that at least gets us in the area.

guy