Bamber Lake Club/Camp Columbus. Say Hello.

Camille Muck

May 18, 2019
Bamber Lake, NJ
Hello Everyone !
The Chief of the Bamber Lakes Fire Department asked me to do a history report. This is a tough task for a town that has little documented information which means its time the stories be told. The untruths and rumors need to be set straight. The people who roughed it without electricity, giving name to kerosene city. People who purchased from The Smith Estates or Southland. Members of the Bamberlakes Association Club. Those who responded to the $325 land ads or got land as a promotion. Members of the Schwarz, Brinley, Irene & Phillip Smith, Bayard, Andrew Smith, Coran Capshaw, & Bair families, just to name a few, please share your Bamber stories with me. Its because of these folks any of us are here today.
Thank You.
Camille

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Camille Muck

May 18, 2019
Bamber Lake, NJ
Glad you made it here Camille.

Guy
Hello, Its been a long time coming. I visit your site when ever I can. I never joined an internet forum before and this one seems very high tech so if I send 5 of the same posts or more likely send before editing, all by mistake, please forgive my lack of IT skills.
So... Our fire department asked for a history report. I need to give them more. The well known Gen. Lacey story is vague, variable and short. I don't want to touch it because, well, I BELEIVE he and the many other residents/businesses from back then made the pine barrens just that... barren. I think they trashed the place. not realizing its value.
I am hoping to hear from the people who brought life back to Bamber. I different kind of life. one with love and respect for wild. They dealt with inconveniences on large levels and faced ridicule for living here. The 1940's (earlier maybe) up to the 70's.. I want to meet the folks, hear their stories and thank them for creating my special piney village. I am starting with a personal favorite. "Sis". Viola Ridgeway-Fisher. Born and raised in Bamber. In 1945 Sis and her husband Bill moved into a little house on Good Luck Rd and raised their family until 2007. I hope to here from all the others and create a real special documentary that the fire company can maybe make some money with or at the least keep with the company for ever.
Thank you. Great site you made.
Camille.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think Bob knew the Ridgeways. He may respond. However, I am not so sure the one he knew was one to bring love and respect to Bamber.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Asbury Park Press 3/16/1953

3 Teenagers Hurt In Car Accident

Toms River-- Three teenagers were slightly injured at 10 o'clock last night where their car overturned on the Toms River-Pinewald Road, south of Toms River. Injured were Robert F. Thompson, 17 of James Street, cut scalp, the driver, and his passengers Viola Ridgeway 19, Bamber Lake, and Ruth Frazee, 14, Forded River, both bruised. They were treated by Dr. George D. Trustan and released.

Reactions: Camille Muck

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
The murder of James Wainwright by Elson Rockwell in 1885 made quite the stir in the area. Newspapers from the day provided detailed accounts of the trial. Many Bamber area locals gave testimony.

Also, you are likely aware that the village was called Cedar Crest for a time.

Lastly (and with all due respect), in regards to Gen. Lacey's legacy, consider that many very special places in the Pines resulted from the scars left on the landscape by early industry. There would be no Bamber Lake had it not been for Ferrago Forge! I think a history of the area would fall far short if this important part of its past is overlooked. Just my two cents.

You live in a neat place. Good luck with your project!

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I recall one night camping out by Bamber Lake, in 1970, and the night sounds - the bullfrogs - it was so loud! I haven't heard night sounds like that in many years.

Reactions: Camille Muck