Basic email program

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You know, I almost never use an "e-mail program" anymore. I use web clients and my iPhone. Gives me access to everything no matter where I go.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
You know, I almost never use an "e-mail program" anymore. I use web clients and my iPhone. Gives me access to everything no matter where I go.

Not sure if I should tag onto this thread or start new one, but here goes. Boyd can you share more about your iPhone? How well does it perform? Is the ATT service acceptable? I'm thinking of getting one, but heard stories that only Verizon works in the areas of the Pines, such as Chatsworth. In addtion, it seems the monthly costs are somewant high when you add the required data-plan, etc.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
AT&T has changed data plans and no longer offers the $30 unlimited one (which is what originally came with the iPhone). I should switch to a cheaper one because I don't come anywhere near the limits. My monthly bill is ~$80, but I think it could cut $10 or $15 off that with a lower data plan. I also never use all my minutes, and they roll over. If you get a family plan, there are probably some further cost advantages.

I see very little difference in coverage between Verizon and AT&T - I had Verizon for about 8 years before switching. I get almost no coverage in my home, but nobody's phones work here. :)

Of course, the rumor is that Verizon will have the iPhone in 2011... but it is only a rumor. AT&T has a product called the "micro cell" that can create your own private cell network at your home if coverage is bad. It uses your internet connection to route your calls to their network. I would like to get one of these at home, but it isn't available yet in my area.

I am really happy with the iPhone, and plan to upgrade to the new model as soon as the frenzy dies down a bit.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If anyone is interested, just got notification that the AT&T 3g MicroCell is now available so I picked one up today. Cost was $150 - not cheap, but worth it for me to get a 5-bar cell signal in my home (instead of the usual 0 or 1).

microcell.jpg

You can authorize a maximum of 10 different phones to use the device, but only 4 calls can be active at the same time. Once you set it up, use is transparent and calls will transfer between it an the nearest AT&T tower when you leave/arrive at home. You are billed according to your regular calling plan, just like any other phone call. Other authorized users will be billed to their own plans as well. The hardware is made by Cisco.

For more info, see: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/index.jsp?locale=en_US

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do you all remember my rant about the cell tower here in Bamber? It is only AT&T and my phone is Verizon, and I rarely have service....unless maybe I climb a 6 foot ladder at one specific spot in my yard. The guy who's land is hosting the tower should be forced to accomadate Verizon to (if they even care too).

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Unfortunately their systems are completely incompatible. Verizon uses CDMA and AT&T uses GSM. GSM is the standard in Europe and the iPhone only works on the GSM system. There are persistent rumors that Apple will introduce a CDMA iPhone for Verizon in 2011.

But it is a shame they have to put those ugly towers in places like this. I am much happier purchasing the AT&T microcell than I would be if they put a tower near my home. Devices like the AT&T Microcell are generically knows as "femtocells". It looks like you can get one that works with your Verizon phone. It's a bit more expensive than the AT&T Microcell however: http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell