Batona Trail Guide?

bdossman

Feb 19, 2009
I'm playing on through-hiking the whole trail in march and i was wondering if there are maps and a trail guide for this trail. I'm looking for camp site/ hut distances and water sources, any help?

Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry for the late approval of the post. I just noticed it.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey bdossman,
Welcome to the site! The Botona trail is around 50 miles long and camp sites to do a continuing hike are quite spread out I think you would have to do a marathon hike . If you start at Carpenters springs in ongs hat then you would have pakim pond ,not sure there are camp sites there after that the next camp site is Batona camps across from the caranza memorial then Lower forge on the batsto. the next sites after that are Bodine field off of rt 679 near harrisonville lake, then bass river will be the end. It is all very beautiful and just a few sections come any where near civilization, there is alot of very diverse terrain . I wish you the best on that venture. Unfortunately New Jersey is very adamant about using only designated sites ,so any wilderness camping isn't permitted, which is a shame cuz i would much rather camp in or near a cedar swamp than an open area

Mudtrudger

Feb 4, 2009
Coastal Monmouth
There is no campsite open north of Batona campground in Wharton. The Brendan Byrne campsites are closed until April. They are not far from Pakim Pond but closed for the winter. You would have to hike trough to Batona about 20 miles for the first open campsites.