Batona Trail or Batsto river Road hike?

ChrisL

Oct 18, 2007
Hi all. I said in a question on a different thread that I am taking some boy scouts on a hike from Atsion to Batsto next week. I originally was going to folow the Mulica all the way down but I am reconsidering because I would like to have a place for the younger ones to end the trip after 4-5 miles. I thought there was a trail from Mullica River Road to Quaker Bridge because of a line on an old Courrier Post map, but I can't see it. I now plan on taking Quaker Bridge Road to the Bridge where some of the younger ones can end the trip if they are tired. Then we will continue to Batsto. I have never hiked this part before. Does anyone have a comment on whether we should take the Batona Trail or Batsto River Road? I think the scouts might enjoy staying next to the river more, but I'm not sure. Thanks again.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
You may want to consider the Batona Trail instead of Goodwater Rd down from Quaker Bridge. The road is no closer to the river than the trail, and you'll avoid any vehicle traffic with the boys.

John-

ChrisL

Oct 18, 2007
Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I wasn't talking about Goodwater Road. The satellite shows an old road or trail going down the west side of Batsto river that Google Maps calls Batsto River Road. It seems to parallel the river much more closely than the Batsto trail. I was asking if anyone had information on that route. thanks.

Chris

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Chris,
If you would like to scout out the route it is easily accomplished in a small truck/SUV even without 4WD. Beginning at Rt. 206 travel towards Quaker Bridge. About a quarter mile before QB there is a right fork. It is the last right-hand fork before getting to QB. Take that road to Batsto and Rt. 542 where the horse trailers park. I have driven that road in the early evening and seen some wonderful wildlife..... It will be wider than the Batona Trail (less chance of picking up ticks and chiggers). Hope this helps.

turtle

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
ChrisL, the trail/dirt road that parallels the Batsto river from Atsion to Batsto is marked with yellow blazes. If my memory serves me correctly, the yellow trail from Atsion to Batsto is 9 miles long. If you start at Atsion and head south towards Batsto, approximately 4-5 miles down the yellow blaze trail, you will see a purple blazed trail. The purple blazed trail will lead you to Quaker Bridge. Once at Quaker Bridge, you can follow the Batona Trail (pink blazes) to Batsto, or you can follow the green blazed trail back to the yellow blazed trail and continue south to Batsto.

One thing you might consider. We haven't had a hard frost yet, so the chiggers are still active and there are some areas on the Batona Trail between Batsto and Quaker Bridge that are pretty thick with underbrush. You'll be less at risk for chiggers and ticks on the yellow, purple & green trails.

ChrisL

Oct 18, 2007
Thanks to everyone for your insight. I didn't know you could drive the road with a regular SUV. I will see if I can get out there and check it out before we go. I will try to post some pictures of the trip.
Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks to everyone for your insight. I didn't know you could drive the road with a regular SUV. I will see if I can get out there and check it out before we go. I will try to post some pictures of the trip.
Chris

Be careful! There are a few puddles that need your attention.

Guy

Hey Chris L, what troop are you with? I help run 48 over in Berlin.

Atsion to Quaker Bridge is very drivable, I took my old 1980s Toyota Corolla back there many times without getting stuck (there is a bad patch of sugar sand just on the other side of the bridge though).

I hiked the Batona from Quaker Bridge to Batsto the other week, I managed to stay chigger and tick free. Just be warned that the Batona map (available at the Atsion or Batsto Ranger Station) is a bunch of crap for that section. What appears to be a 5 minute barely visable gap on paper between one of the streams and the trail ends up being a 45 detour. Its one of the sandier sections of the trail (lace those boots up tight), but it has some nice overlooks of the river where the kids can stick their feet in if they'd like.

My own boys backpacked from Packim Pond to Ong's Hat on the Batona (the northern-most end) back in September and had a great time.

ChrisL

Oct 18, 2007
Mike,
Hi, We are with Our Lady of Sorrows Troop 38 in Hamilton, Mercer County. I took the kids canoeing down the Wading river a couple of years ago and they loved it. We also hiked the northern end of the Batona trail a couple of years ago and I wanted to give them something different this year.

Thanks for the warning ion the Batona. I think I will take Basto River Road instead.

Chris