Batona Trail

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
I hear there was a death/murder on the Batona Trail last week-end. Not sure of the details, a friend said she heard it on 101.5. Anyone know what happened?

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Maybe someone killed a snake. Or perhaps it was the Jersey Devil, who was annoyed that it got a bad review.

Matthew

Dec 31, 1969
Just a heads up on the Batona Trail death. It was a college student from Medford (He went to Rider University, which is about 20 min from me in Lawrenceville). Apparently he hung himself along the trail somewhere. I don't know much more than that from what I read in the paper, and heard from a friend of mine who is also a Rider student.

Matthew

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
I learned the death happened at the Batona Campground, at the edge of the Batona Trail just a short distance down the road from the Carranza Memorial, if you're heading toward Friendship. The campground is just a short drive down a sand road from the paved road that runs past the memorial towards Tabernacle.

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
That's correct Jeff, based on what I heard. My brother and a couple friends were hiking from Carranza to Bass River to camp that weekend, and he left his car at the Carranza Memorial (with a parking permit). When they returned, there were a bunch of people there with trailered horses, and they told told him what had happened. The police (rangers?) had run my brother's tags to see if he was somehow connected to what went on.

But yeah, the horse people's story matches what's been said here.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Carranza to Bass River. That's quite a hike, even if you're going to stay the night!

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
They're pretty serious hikers. They have quite a bit of ultralight gear and they only carry like a quart of water at a time and purify more as they need it (they say that the water runs pretty clear this time of year anyway). I think for that trip, they may have had a car at both ends so they didn't have to walk back.