Batsto and their outhouses

Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
I have been visiting Batsto for over 40 years (I was a very young child, mind you) and I was always amazed at the large outhouse that was supposedly used by the mansion workers. It had about 5 regular seats and 2 lower seats (for kids). This outhouse was located right alongside the side of the ice house (it butted right against it) and faced where the chickens and birds were kept. It was one long building and was the length of the side of the ice house.

In all my visits in about the last 10+ years, there is no outhouse building like this. I ask everyone; the rangers, the people in the office, and have even asked members of The Batsto Historical Society whatever happened to it and when and why. No one has a clue about what I am talking about. My family remembers it, so I know I am not imagining it.

Does anyone have any info on it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect you will find your answer here. There are people here who would know. Lets see what pops up.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I suspect you will find your answer here. There are people here who would know. Lets see what pops up.
Guy

Wouldn't Bud be a good try for this?
Not on the forum though.
I can think of a couple other folks, but they's dead now.

g.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I don't know how accurate this answer is BUT....I asked someone who asked someone who is 90% sure they recall that the outhouse in question was INDEED, as you remember near the present day chicken coop that is situated to the north side of the Batsto Mansion. At this time I don't know if there is a photo of the outhouse. I also don't know when it was removed. Perhaps someone else can confirm/elaborate on this info and maybe someone else knows of a photo.
Welcome to the site!

turtle

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Wow. There's got to be no better way to meet your neighbors then to have the toot-off orchestra in an outhouse that big! But, I'm sure that was quite normal back in the day. There are the remains of a mens/womens outhouse to the left of the church, but definitely not the one your referring to. My friend still has an outhouse at his place. It's great, you never need a plunger, just a stick in the winter. I hope someone leads to you what your looking for coopersisters.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I was told by the former caretaker Edith Waters Farrace that outhouses were located where the chicken coups are today. She told me that a historical dig had been performed and numerous pieces of pottery, glass and animal bones were discovered. I do not know for how long they were standing.

Completely unrelated to Batsto, but to outhouses, the garage behind my folks house used to be a carriage house. In a small room to the side is a double-seater outhouse. Just makes me laugh. Imagine two people dumping one off right next to each other without even a partition. Silly. Sad to say I have never tried it...

Completely unrelated to Batsto, but to outhouses, the garage behind my folks house used to be a carriage house. In a small room to the side is a double-seater outhouse. Just makes me laugh. Imagine two people dumping one off right next to each other without even a partition. Silly. Sad to say I have ever tried it...

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Our cabin in the Poconos had a 2-holer when I was younger. Environmental regulations improved during the early 70's and we were forced to re-build it over a sealed septic tank the new unit was designed for solo operations.

The old one room schoolhouse [torn down a few years ago] down the road had a twin unit w/ opposing doors and privacy fences making a his/hers setup.

The old unit was alot more user friendly as the walls had cracks providing ventalation and 5 lbs of lime were all it took to de-odorize. The holding tank smells alot more ad the privy is insulated & panneled w/ a suspended ceiling and a plug in electric heater activated when you turn on the porch light. Much warmer but more stinky...keeps most women away...

Completely unrelated to Batsto, but to outhouses, the garage behind my folks house used to be a carriage house. In a small room to the side is a double-seater outhouse. Just makes me laugh. Imagine two people dumping one off right next to each other without even a partition. Silly. Sad to say I have ever tried it...

I believe one reason may be so you had a choice. At one time men and women had separate entrances to churches (depending on sect, some still do!) It may have been for perceived cleanliness or some such notion for sanitation and health. It may have also depended on which way the wind was blowing - it could be drafty in there! (A big issue in the winter!)

On a related note, I grew up in a house from the early 19th century that had a three holer which was plastered and painted inside. It had nice moudings and was well made, with siding and cedar shingles. In the winter it would have been heated with a lantern.