Batsto (Hampton Furnace - Quaker Bridge)

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
We have a double kayak. I think it's a bay/ocean type. You sit on top. You are not totally in it like a regular kayak. We are thinking of taking this kayak down the Batsto from HAMPTON TO QUAKER BRIDGE. ADVICE, DROP POINTS, GENERAL INFO on the trip would be apperciated just as it was for the great Oswego trip we took.

On Sunday we crossed over the dam at Oswego Lake at 9 AM
We didn't get to our car at Harrisville until 4:05 PM. A great time that flew by. We only saw two other groups. We were virtually alone the whole time.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

P.S. MULLICA RIVER (JACKSON ROAD TO RT. 206)????????

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Won't speak for that first one. I am not a fan of sit on tops anyway.

As far as your Mullica Jackson to 206, even in these high times (water)
That one can be a bit tough. You might actually have too much Kayak for it.
If you're gonna do it, make it soon! you do not want to get hung up in there in buggy season.

G.

mx174k

Aug 13, 2005
Tabernacle
Hampton to Quaker bridge should not be a problem. The river starts off a little tight but after the railroad bridge (riders switch)it opens up.Hampton road has been closed due to a sink-hole witch could make picking up and dropping off a problem.

Oct 25, 2006
We have a double kayak. I think it's a bay/ocean type. You sit on top. You are not totally in it like a regular kayak. We are thinking of taking this kayak down the Batsto from HAMPTON TO QUAKER BRIDGE. ADVICE, DROP POINTS, GENERAL INFO on the trip would be apperciated just as it was for the great Oswego trip we took.

On Sunday we crossed over the dam at Oswego Lake at 9 AM
We didn't get to our car at Harrisville until 4:05 PM. A great time that flew by. We only saw two other groups. We were virtually alone the whole time.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

P.S. MULLICA RIVER (JACKSON ROAD TO RT. 206)????????

Looks like you had a great oswego trip having the river basically to yourself.

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Yes

We put in at 9 thinking we would have run into a few people. One other group passed us when we ventured to the cranberry bogs which I knew were somewhere but didn't know exactly where. We also saw a group of women kayakers right near the entr. to harrisville. We stopped at every low spot where you can see the rocks clearly. We didn't even have to dock we just slid into the sand. Being in the middle of Martha's Pond was out of this world. You really can't describe it with words. Just a great trip and ideal weather. My cousin and I are sure we won't canoe from June to Aug on the weekends. I don't want the experience to be ruined.

Like mx174k said the Batsto is a little tight at Hampton. If the water is high and fast beware, it can be pretty rough. It will be hard to move your paddle freely and being on a sit on top will make it worse. It is a beautiful run though once you get through that first part.

Steve

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I did this run and beyond this weekend. Very smoothe ride save for the narrow stretch below Hampton furnace. There's alot of history to be found along this gem of a river.

Oct 25, 2006
A question for the advanced canoers and kayakers on the site.What class or category under normal conditions would the oswego,batsto,wading,and mullica rivers be classified as?Also during high water,would the class or category jump up a notch or more?