Batsto Lake and River

kbright64

Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
Okay, time to stop lurking in the shadow of the pine trees... This trip was not particularly spectacular, but I am posting it because I am now getting out on the water with a new Perception Sports Rhythm10 kayak. And I am interested in exploring other things besides old ruins, especially this time of year when chiggers are active.

I drove down to Batsto Village, a place I have not visited in probably 30 years or more. The place was practically deserted. I did a quick walk through of the grist mill and general store before heading over to the canoe launch.

IMG_0078.JPG

I found that Batsto Lake, though choked with grasses at the upper end is easier to navigate than Harrisonville Lake. It is just as beautiful.

IMG_0094.JPG

Brown ducks. I was lucky to rip off 4 shots on the SLR before they took off. Typically when I'm walking around Friendship bogs the mallard ducks take off long before I even get close. Trying to take photos of them is futile.

IMG_0106.JPG

As I made my way up the Batsto River, I began spotting turtles everywhere. Some of them where quite large. Most of them didn't appreciate me getting too close to snap their picture.

IMG_0109.JPG

Just sheer beauty out on this river... I had the entire lake and river to myself. It was utterly quiet and peaceful.

IMG_0118.JPG

Three of them were sunning themselves on this tree. I figured out quickly that once one of their legs moved they were ready to plunge into the water.

IMG_0137.JPG

And the two smaller ones did. This guy couldn't get away fast enough, so I was able to get in close before he jumped in.

IMG_0150.JPG

Same ducks. They refused to stay put for a second close up.

IMG_0167.JPG

Self-portrait. I was fooling around with the cell phone.
IMG_20130903_141222_319.jpg

I am interested in getting in as many weekends and some days off as possible before the cold weather sets in. If anyone is interested getting together to do a trip on any waterway out in the Pine Barrens, on the Rancocas or Mullica River, please let me know. Thanks.