Batsto River East .. A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On May 6 all members of PBX received this edited announcement from Bob about our final outing for the season.

Boys, our next exploration will be the 75th time we have rounded up our gear, packed our beans, saddled our mounts, and hit the woods! It is also our 17th year! For this momentous occasion we are going to make this a fairly easy and visually pleasing day (if the weather holds for us). We are going to visit the savanna land on the east side of the mighty Batsto River. We are liable to see some nice orchids and other pleasing vegetation rising to greet us, including some great cedar swamps. We are also going to ensure we get back in plenty of time to enjoy ourselves at our annual cookout at Wading Pines Campground. We’ll meet at 8:45 am, at the Fire Tower just NE of Batsto village. We’ll park there and do a short shuttle to get us near Penn Swamp Branch. From there we’ll hug the river as we meander south, checking out the vegetation and river as we go. It should be a fine Pine Barren day.

Happy trails my Pine Barren Brothers……….bob

Members of this website attending were ... Bobpbx, Jessica, TeeGate (Me), RednekF350,
Lost Town Hunter, Smoke_Jumper, Hewey and Behr655. Also attending were various other family members and friends.

I did not take many photos and many I was unhappy with; however, here are a few that seemed acceptable.

Blue Flag Orchid

IMG_0065a.jpg

Planning strategy or maybe just shooting the breeze. Not unusual for a PBX hike.

IMG_0079a.jpg

A garder snake was captured and handed to Jessica who always enjoys these moments. Because of this incident she rated the hike today a 10!

IMG_0082a.jpg

July should be a very nice month. This is a wonderful White Orchid preview of things to come.

IMG_0083a.jpg

If you have ever kayaked down the Batsto, you more than likely have never visited the more interesting places there are to see. The next time you go check out the various little streams that feed it. You will not be disappointed.

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0091a.jpg

And when the exploring for the day was done and dinner over, we all sat around enjoying the company.

IMG_0096a.jpg

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Because of my little mix-up, I got to do this hike nearly twice.

I showed up on the 4th at the meeting spot only to find no one waiting to greet me. My son and his girlfriend were on their way too. So as not to waste a good day in the woods, we did a brief hike to two of the savannahs. My son's girlfriend was very excited and couldn't wait for the real hike !

The real hike was enchanting and it is always a pleasure to see the natural things along the way that few people ever experience.

Thanks to everyone for making it a memorable event.

My son and his girlfriend. Her first off-trail experience. Second if you count last week !

A wet area alive with color and diversity.

Ted demonstrating a Bavarian Wetland Waltz for us.

Finally, views of the Batsto from our PBX perspective.