Batsto to Lower Forge hikethis past weekend

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Did this hike Saturday and did not get any ticks or chiggers. Also saw several others out on the Batona.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Your post brought to mind a past trip. My oldest brother, my youngest brother and I did that hike. I got no ticks, chiggers or flies and neither did my youngest brother. Thats because my oldest brother was the bug magnet, they all flocked to him. By the time we reached Lower Forge he was really bitten up. I wonder why that happens?

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Maybe ticks and chiggers are just attracted to certain body odors.........

I will be out on the Mullica River Trail, this Saturday if anyone is interested in a long day hike.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
NJHIKERADAM said:
Maybe ticks and chiggers are just attracted to certain body odors.........

I think there's something to that. Years ago a veteranerian told my mother to feed the dogs brewer's yeast tablets and garlic in the warm season to repel fleas and ticks.

A sibling who's quite heavy always gets a lot more mosquito hits than I do. My mother who is diabetic is a fly magnet. My husband and I took a walk on the beach last week, one of the very hot days. He was attacked by flies, I had a few. I think that the difference might have been that he had a couple of beers with dinner and I wasn't drinking.

It seems as though the consumption sugar, carbs and metabolism may be an influencing factor.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Reminds me...

Hey Piker 56, your tale reminds me of two hikers who encountered a grizzly bear, one started running like mad when the other guy said "hey, why are you running so fast, you know you can't outrun a grizzly". The other guy replied, "I'm not worried about outrunning him, I just have to outrun YOU!" So, maybe you and your younger brother "outran" the bugs! All kidding aside, there's a lot of truth behind your anectdote, I for one will attract all kinds of blood-suckers, especially mosquitoes and deerflies and greenheads--but I've never had a problem with chiggers---go figure!:)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I was a real mosquito magnet when I was younger, now they really don't seem to bite me as much. But the pine flies love me. They often like to land on my head, so often I wear a cap.
Pine flies are persistant too, they followed me out of Red Creek the other day.