bay days

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
dix9s.jpg

The western edge of Cumberland and Cape May counties, bordered by the Delaware Bay, is sparsely populated, but rich in biodiversity. I spent today with my 10-year-old son, who wanted to see some of these areas which I regularly visit --- Sea Breeze, Dix WMA and the Cohansey watershed. Stefan complained a bit about the bugs (and their big nasty teeth)-- otherwise, the day was rather magical.

seabreeze2s.jpg

seabreeze3s.jpg

seabreeze4s.jpg

seabreeze5s.jpg

Sea Breeze

dix1s.jpg

dix3s.jpg

dix6s.jpg

dix5s.jpg

dix7s.jpg

dix8s.jpg

Dix Wildlife Management Area

cohanseys.jpg

Cohansey watershed

son.jpg

Bill

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice shots Bill as usual, thanks for posting them. Those butterflies can fly faster than the speed limit on that road.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Oh, how could I forget to mention spotting (and photographing) a pair of bay dragons (which feast upon even rarer 25 ft. tall ducks, and not photographers and their ten-year-old kids, thank god!) ...

dragons.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Beautiful photos.
I love driving through those areas, especially Sea Breeze, in the dead of winter. I used to crab out of Husteds on Back Creek a little south of there.
The last time I saw that road in your pic it was partially in the bay.
The Dix tract is a great late season rabbit hunting spot. No one seems to go there after December and the pheasant stockings are done.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Those are some great shots Whip. I also enjoy wandering around those places. I think it's one of the few parts of NJ which time and development have passed by.

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
At the end of the road in Seabreeze is where there is a bald eagle who likes to perch upon an old piling. There are a few others that are often in the trees on the road coming in off to the left.

I have seen up to five eagles down there at a time. Really one of the magical areas here.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
It has been a few years since I have been to Sea Breeze. It looks different in the photos, like it is cleaned up, less houses? Is that so? Maybe I should get out my map and plan a trip there. There was a inlet near there that had a historic picture set up that showed a group of men from years gone by. It had something to do with the industry in that area years ago. Anyone know what I am talking about and where this is near Sea Breeze?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
It has been a few years since I have been to Sea Breeze. It looks different in the photos, like it is cleaned up, less houses? Is that so? Maybe I should get out my map and plan a trip there. There was a inlet near there that had a historic picture set up that showed a group of men from years gone by. It had something to do with the industry in that area years ago. Anyone know what I am talking about and where this is near Sea Breeze?

The new seawall has enhanced (with "enhanced" used as a negative connotation) the look at Sea Breeze. Rednek, above, mentions the beach road (named nearly precisely that, Beach Ave.) being partially in the bay during his last visit. Piles and piles of debris used to represent a haphazard, thin line of protection from storm surges. For a while, it seemed like all might be lost. But only a few of the small shoreline homes seem abandoned now.

Remember the old, grounded barge that was there for years? And the Seabreeze Tavern? This Internet link to a photo show the former and the foundation remains of the latter ...

http://www.weirdnj.com/_images_stories/abandoned14-1.jpg

... but there is virtually no sign of either now. A much wider angle is presented in the photo below, but the image would have been dominated by the two structures if they were still there.

seabreeze6s.jpg

My parents took me to the tavern often ... there was never any protection from the encroaching bay here, and Hurricane Gloria finally did the restaurant in back in the mid 1980s. It was only a matter of time.

Batona's post above is dead on in regard to bald eagles (birders still frequent this area heavily). Yes, the trees off to the left when heading toward the bay is a perfect location in which to spot the eagles. The photo below shows the area he mentions and includes a couple of bald eagles, but only as tiny dots on the highest tree in the distance. (No zoom lens with me that day; drat.) I'd like to catch a closer camera view someday soon, for sure.

marsh.jpg

Al (Manumuskin) has mentioned seeing several bald eagles clustered nearby at Dix WMA (accessible via Sea Breeze Rd.; photos of the area in top post); I've also seen several birds of prey here.

It's nice to read that several forum members appreciate this area. The bay is actually closer to my home than the barrens and, with the price of gasoline these days, a ride there is instead often opted upon for much needed doses of nature and seclusion. Those who haven't visited in years owe it to themselves to return.

Bill

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Dude,
I've been layin' low on this one but you Rock you B**tard!
I dig Bay shots and the angles are killer. that shot # 11 (I think)
With the flowers & sky, very Tim Burton but cheerful.
This last bit with the shoreline looks like some sort of freaky surreal overlay effect between the water scene and the land, and with that basket in the foreground, Damn! You really are beyond compare.

g.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Ragged Road, Tyndall Island, near Greenwich, NJ

A sublime fall afternoon, so I took in some new territory, a PSE&G preserve tucked between Greenwich and the Delaware Bay. I didn't stroll too far from my car, as my recording equipment was setup nearby, but saw enough to determine this area, near the mouth of the Cohansey, warrants further exploration --- fer sure.

tyndall9.jpg

tyndall4.jpg

tyndall1.jpg

tyndall2.jpg

tyndall7.jpg

tyndall5.jpg

tyndall8.jpg

Alfie, thanks for reminding me of the location of this preserve.

Thanks for looking,
Bill

Reactions: John

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Billy,
You never made it out to the creek for a look at the island?
any good sounds?the pics are great.looks like maybe a little enhanced but no freaky stuff.do you feel alright?:)what are those black and white pics?they look like negatives.i like those and the enhanced colors.were your chigger fears confirmed?Had you been there before?I thought it was a new one for you.I never took you out there,I used to whine all the time for you to check the island out with me but i was ignored.Biggest darn deer trail i ever seen goes the length of it and theirs a cellar hole at the far end.very open island too with owl pellets and otter poo everywhere.
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Billy,
You never made it out to the creek for a look at the island?
any good sounds?the pics are great.looks like maybe a little enhanced but no freaky stuff.do you feel alright?:)what are those black and white pics?they look like negatives.i like those and the enhanced colors.were your chigger fears confirmed?Had you been there before?I thought it was a new one for you.I never took you out there,I used to whine all the time for you to check the island out with me but i was ignored.Biggest darn deer trail i ever seen goes the length of it and theirs a cellar hole at the far end.very open island too with owl pellets and otter poo everywhere.
Alfie

Dawgie,

Thems a lot of questions in your post ... but I'll try to answer them all.

No. I never made it out to the island. When recording, I tend to stay somewhat near the equipment. A few other folks were in the environs, so I strolled no more than five minutes in any direction. Good sounds? Too many airplanes, as usual. And something was droning in the distance. But I got a chorus of woodpecker knocks that is a definite keeper. Am I feeling alright? Hmmm ... just because I don't warp a pic or two into non-recognition doesn't mean I'm suffering. :) The black and white photo is a color shot converted to grayscale with software. It was more effective looking that way. Yep, there's a bit of enhancement on the others, but doing this brings the photos to life (cameras often have a hard time matching the real world's vividness). Chiggers? Not a one. I walked a bit up the trail in the top photo (which heads to your island, eventually), and I was sure I would get chiggered. But, before launching, I stood atop the gate and screamed a threat down the trail, threatening any chigger who even thought about attaching to my ankles with a proper power mowing. Obviously, it worked. Lastly, this was my first time there. My previously posted thanks for the reminder was for when you retold me the other day about the preserve being there. I'd done forgotten about Tyndall Isle.

Billy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
baybridge.jpg

bayroad.jpg

A couple of photos lit by tonight's moon -- an old bridge to no where, and the man in the moon is Al, who patiently posed for the 45-second exposure. As a matter of fact, he was patient all night, as I chased owls down with microphones, only to have them repeatedly silence themselves when I'd finally set up near their locations.

Wish I could find better words to describe, but these desolate bay-area wildlife-management roads are surreal and beautiful, day or night.

Bill