Be Careful Out There

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rooftree, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Rooftree

Rooftree Explorer

I was in the Pines yesterday where I did some minimal bushwhacking without the use of Permethrin protection. Being March, I never gave any thought about using it. Well, I found a tick on me when I got home. It didn't take me too long in getting one of those babies. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy a new supply.

Be careful, their already out.

Ron

2. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just gave a pair of shoes, socks and pants a good permethrin soaking this afternoon. :)

3. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

I almost posted yesterday asking has anyone seen ticks lately? None yet here in area just west of Bridgeton: its like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    It's spring, it's spring, the forsythia blooming and the #%*% invasive ivy, brambles and weeds are growing.
    My neighbor has started taking his Harley instead of his truck to work so I hear that sweet, deep engine in the a.m.
    Time to get the Sawyers spray out.

4. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I went out yesterday in regular clothes and then did the permethrin treatment when I got back. Right after I made the post above, I found a tick crawling up my belly, looking for his dinner. :mad:

5. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

6. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

Everyone is somthing else's lunch. Was it a nymph and could tell which species?

7. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty big for a nymph. It was a tick. That's about as much ID as I'm capable of. ;)

8. HeathenClerk

HeathenClerk Explorer

Got the bull's-eye rash three weeks ago. Go to Double Trouble SP about three times a week, check like a madperson. Entering week three on doxy. Stating this not for sympathy but to agree: yeah, ticks, man. Phew.

Erik

9. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

Watch for thrush. My daughter got that after being on antibiotics that long and the thrush was worse than anything.

10. HeathenClerk

HeathenClerk Explorer

Yikes. Thanks.

11. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

Please note that the bulls eye rash occurs in less than half the cases of Lyme disease. Any time you have a reddened, itchy area around a tick bite suspect a tick-borne illness. The most recent case of possible disease I had was caused by a tiny nymph stage tick so small I could not identify it. Didn't know it was there until the itching started.

12. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have a red, itchy spot around every tick bite, even if it has only been on me for a few minutes. I also had the "bullseye" once, and have read that it is not a sure sign of Lyme disease. Whatever, I'm almost 70, have never consulted a physician about tick bites and I'm still alive. But if you are concerned, of course it's best to seek medical attention.

Jersey Jeff likes this.