Beach plum time

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
SLAND BEACH STATE PARK, N.J. - This is the time of year when beach bums give way to beach plums.
When the large crowds vanish from the sands at the Jersey Shore, that's the time this little-known crop has its moment in the sun.
Island Beach State Park is holding its beach plum festival Sunday, celebrating the tangy fruit that grows wild along the nearly 10-mile island. It can also be found elsewhere at the Shore, including Cape May, and thrives along the coast from Maine to Maryland.
The festival, held annually the Sunday after Labor Day, features the plum's use in jelly, ice cream, syrup, and brandy, with cookbooks and samples available.
Native Americans picked the plums for use in cooking, and early American settlers used them for jams and jelly.
"It's the end of the season and the start of a fall harvest," said Pat Vargo, vice president of Friends of Island Beach State Park, which raises money for and helps maintain the park between the ocean and Barnegat Bay. "People come from miles around just to pick these plums. They go crazy for this stuff."
Beach plums have endured the harsh weather and salty spray of the Atlantic Coast for centuries. Their existence was noted by European explorers as far back as Verrazano in 1524.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20120908_Beach_plum_time_at_Shore.html

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I have always wanted to make jam from Beach plumbs, but I can't ever find anybody who sells the raw fruit. Does anybody know if they sell raw Beach plumbs at this festival at Island Beach State Park?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have always wanted to make jam from Beach plumbs, but I can't ever find anybody who sells the raw fruit. Does anybody know if they sell raw Beach plumbs at this festival at Island Beach State Park?

They don't sell the fruit, but do allow supervised picking after you register at the festival. They used to sell the plants at the festival, not sure if they still do. Get over there about 2 weeks before next years event and pick away, the parking areas have lots of bushes around them. If you have enough room, put some plants in. Only problem is the critters. I had a nice crop in June, none were left by August. Same with my Blueberries. :rolleyes:

28690960.jpg

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
They don't sell the fruit, but do allow supervised picking after you register at the festival. They used to sell the plants at the festival, not sure if they still do. Get over there about 2 weeks before next years event and pick away, the parking areas have lots of bushes around them. If you have enough room, put some plants in. Only problem is the critters. I had a nice crop in June, none were left by August. Same with my Blueberries. :rolleyes:

28690960.jpg

Thanks for the info, 46er! I did make it to the Plumb Festival and you are correct, they did not sell any raw Beach plumbs. They did have plants for sale though.

I have discovered the hard way that if you have ave any kind of fruit trees/bushes, you really need cover them in bird netting if you want to harvest anything. I had hundreds of green cranberries a month ago. Went to pick them this weekend and found only one cranberry left. lol