Bear Swamp

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I can attest to the encroaching salt water. There is an area on cedar Creek that an old road crosses the creek.You have to walk across the creek.This spot used to be about 300 yards upstream from the furthest upstream area of brackish marsh and tides.This was in the 80's.Now the area is quite open with dead trees and has Bulrush and reed growing in it.This has happened in 30 years.The tidal influence has extended about 500 yards upstream in that time.I liked it better the old way when the creek was a fast fresh little stream with a gravel bottom.It still is at low tide but the shade is gone. The black Gum are very close to the salt water.The Tulip Poplar have a bit more time.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wonder how they get their ages for the trees.Gum trees are notoriously bad for having either indistinct growth rings or none at all. I wonder if they use tree rings or just estimates on size from other trees with known ages? There are tulip trees out there bigger then the gums but apparently not as old.They supposedly grow like weeds whereas gums grow much slower.