Bears

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 46er, Dec 10, 2018.

1. 46er

46er Piney

2. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

3. 46er

46er Piney

4. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

5. 46er

46er Piney

Lot of unfortunate mis-steps in this incident. IMO, a semi-auto is not something I would depend on when someone with little to no experience is involved. The article does not state what, if any, instruction was given to the client should bad things happen. He apparently did not carry bear spray and he definitely was not familiar with a semi-auto pistol; he is fortunate to have gotten away with just the injuries he did. Unfortunately he now has to live with a tragic memory. A big bore dble action revolver is the usuall firearm of choice for most guides I have met, whether they be hunters or just tour guides. It is a point and shoot firearm, easy to use even with no experience. But I would expect any guide to go thru some pre-hunt education of a client to include live fire instruction for any firearm and spray. Will have see what happens with the guide company.

#5 46er, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    old jersey girl and RednekF350 like this.
  6. 1Jerseydevil

1Jerseydevil Explorer

Yes tragic story indeed. While reading I was having similar thoughts as most of you probably had. Since we don't know the precise details I'm not commenting other than to say that with stories such as this there is always Monday morning quarterbacking and hindsight is always 20/20.

7. 46er

46er Piney

The full report is linked in the newspaper article and there are more details at this link, including OSHA comments, but their report has yet to be published.

https://trib.com/osha-recommends-tr...cle_f001e89c-ddda-5f90-a671-048a93aaf592.html

8. RednekF350

RednekF350 Piney

My family and I spent 10 days in Yellowstone about 15 years ago bouncing back and forth between Montana and Wyoming. We did a lot of hiking and fishing and I brought my Smith 29 in .44 mag with me everywhere I went. No special permits or licenses are needed for open carry in either State or within Yellowstone National Park.

It was then that I realized that both Wyoming and Montana are part of the Real America. ;)

manumuskin, Broke Jeep Joe and 46er like this.
  9. 46er

46er Piney

We visited YNP each summer starting in 1971 for the next 23 years, except for 1988, the year of the big fire. There were very few grizzly around early on, a lot different now. Carry of firearms was banned then, even packed away n your luggage. WY and MT are both open carry, but the change to the law back around 2010 was not very clear. You can only carry in a NP if you have a valid CC in your home state and the park you are visiting is in a state that reciprocates, but you cannot discharge any firearm within a NP. :worms: Hoping to get back that way this year.

I have a Ruger Redhawk in the same caliber :D

https://www.nps.gov/articles/firearms-in-national-parks.htm

[​IMG]

manumuskin likes this.
  10. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

I took my grandson to Batsto last Saturday, and this poster is prominently displayed as you walk into the nature center. I asked inside and they said the last bear spotted in Wharton was 2016.
    2019_02_19_bear.jpg

old jersey girl likes this.
  11. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

I think "Do not play dead" is, in general, good life advice.

12. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

When being approached by a black bear, no. When being approached by a brown bear, yes. From what I've read they behave very differently. If a black bear is coming towards you and doesn't stop, the behavior is considered predatory.

13. 46er

46er Piney

The only black bear caused death in NJ that I am aware of occurred in September 2014.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/...gers-student-during-a-hike-in-new-jersey.html

14. Spung-Man

Spung-Man Explorer

Rowan Professor Harry Gershenowitz wrote a series of small undated papers on reintroducing bears to South Jersey:
    • The case for the restoration of the black bear in Burlington County.
    • Bears and the ecosystem of Cape May County.
    • Bear sightings in Franklin Township during the summer of 1896.
    • Black bears and bobcats in Monroe Township.
    • Recent sightings of black bear.
    • The last great bear hunt in Vineland.
    When Gershenowitz passed away (on tip from Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society curator Patt Martinelli) historian Carl Farrell and I salvaged a number of the professor’s papers from oblivion. These are now archived as a special collection at VHAS. Gershenowitz wrote on a wide range of local cultural and natural history, with titles like Life Along the Tuckahoe River, Phrenology and Spiritualism in South Jersey, and The Mrs. Treat of Darwin’s Scientific World.

S-M

old jersey girl likes this.
  15. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I just don't see South Jersey handling bears. I certainly don't want to have to deal with running into them. If I had a negative encounter I would be packing from that moment on.

Toothy Critter likes this.
  16. RednekF350

RednekF350 Piney

Packing lunch maybe. You're in the wrong State for packing anything else. :D

manumuskin and 46er like this.
  17. 46er

46er Piney

Yep, even possession of a BB or airsoft/paintball is a 3rd degree felony if the intended use is to hurt something, and protection against a bear would probably be considered that by this administration. The laws regarding knives are even foggier in this great state.

18. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

Settle down guys. Chances of a damaging encounter in South Jersey with a stupid human, hungry tick, or broken beer bottle much greater than with a black bear. And the critters don't dump trash in the boonies.

John, manumuskin and Boyd like this.
  19. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

46er likes this.
  20. 46er

46er Piney