Beavers

T

Toothy Critter

I recently discovered a new resident within an abandoned cranberry bog I have been fishing for years. A beaver, and he is not too happy to have me as a neighbor. He is relentless in his tail slapping while I am night fishing, so I generally give him his space. But I also fly fish while wading in the bog during the day with just shorts and water shoes on. My concern is, given the territorial nature of beavers, should I be concerned about an underwater attack by a stubborn critter? I have waded and fished Pine bogs for years and was always concerned about snapping turtles, but have never been bothered by them. Given the seemingly increase in beaver waters I am seeing, I was just worried about them real nasty "toothy critters" using my leg for a maple tree

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I was standing on a lodge at Friendship a couple of years ago and the angry resident, staring me down, cruised to within a couple of feet before he submerged with a slap. Last winter I was knee deep in hip waders above a dam and almost jumped out of the water when a beav slapped a few feet behind me. One documented fatality and a few attacks from rabid beaver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_attack

Reactions: Toothy Critter
T

Toothy Critter

Jon, I know that you go to some gnarly stuff to get your pics, but when you encounter such things, do you have an out? When you encountered those beavers, did you relent and immediately leave, or did you stand your ground and continue on? You were on their house, and at their front door, so I am not surprised as to their reaction.My only concern is that I wade far out into some bogs by studying the bottom, but the going is slow and if I get confronted I really have no escape. Would a beaver take this as a threat? I'm just curious, and since I have never confronted such a situation I am probably just worrying about nothing...but...

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
TC, I really do not sweat the Beaver confrontations. They are just trying to warn me, plus I can wield a tripod, or wood hiking stick, hunting knife, and hip waders if I have to. On the other hand, I would not venture, waist deep, into their domain with nekked legs, but I am not as bold of spirit like hunters or fisherman.

T

Toothy Critter

I think so. Just driving a car is more of a concern, and being hit by a falling meteorite . Enjoy your time fishing. We are headed to the mountains in a week for autumn trout, Beaver be damned ;)

Good luck fishing, No autumn Smallies...?... that's the real fun :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Nope, walk-in beaver pond Brookies; should be in their spawning colors. They are all fun ;) The whole local tribe will be making the trip this year.

133171173.jpg