Behind Atsion

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Been wondering that myself. Saw those clearings on the map not to long ago, and wanted to check them out last week but got there a little to late to hike in.

According to Historic Aerials it wasn't there in 1963, was by 1970. Sand quarry? Was the RR still running through there in 70?

http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=13946

featuredPOIImage.aspx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I asked that of Guy 2 days ago. That is a private rifle range. He has photo's of the gate leading in. There are buildings there....but your photo does not show them. Look on Bing.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hmm, how does one acquire the land to have a private rifle range, I wonder?

This was what Guy had told me in the Email........"That is the Sewell Gun Club Rifle Range. The property was part of Fruitland and for some reason Wharton was not able to purchase that tract and it still is in private hands. There is another small lot nearby that still is private also."

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Bob I rode back there once myself to check out the mystery clearing and was stopped by a gate and posted signs so i flew up into the air and over the field and ascertained that it was a rifle range and then flew back to my car and drove back the way I came.When you do a flyover it's not technically tresspassing.
Al

This was what Guy had told me in the Email........"That is the Sewell Gun Club Rifle Range. The property was part of Fruitland and for some reason Wharton was not able to purchase that tract and it still is in private hands. There is another small lot nearby that still is private also."

Wow, wouldn't mind a little piece of land like that myself! Haha, very informative, thanks so much =)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is a little more info. I have conflicting survey info on this area so this info may not be exactly correct but it is pretty accurate. As Bob said it is the Sewell Gun Club Rifle Range.

IMG_8937.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

Fruitland was a maze of properties in that area and over the years Wharton and the state has acquired most of them. However, there are two that are still privately owned and you can actually see them on Ben's map.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.73333006320139&lng=-74.7004222869873&z=15&type=m&gpx=

There are state monuments and a few stones on those property lines. Here is the most accurate info I have. I do have info showing much larger private holdings by the gun club but I am not certain if that is true.

fruit.jpg

So, a little challenge. Lets see who can be the first one to photograph the biggest stone and the nearby state monument on those property lines. So which one is it you ask? I can tell you that you have driven right by it each time you travel down Quaker Bridge Road. And you can even see it from your car if you know what to look for. So the next time you are out there keep your eyes open and be the first to post a photo of it here. Well, the second, I already have posted it years ago :)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'll be there tomorrow.going right by it on way to the old road I'm checking out.thing is i don't have a camera,I'll have to give a verbal description.
how many stones are there on those points? I'll see how good I can pick em off your image:) won't have time to check em all tomorrow cuz I wanna check out a possible islnad using that bridge on the tulpe you sent me too.
Al