Best Buy to stop selling DVD's

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Best Buy confirmed Friday that it is ending sales of DVDs. “To state the obvious, the way we watch movies and TV shows is much different today than it was decades ago”
[...]
Best Buy’s exit from the market will leave Walmart, Amazon and Target as the top retailers in the U.S. stocking DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I haven't watched a DVD or BluRay disk for around 10 years. It's been even longer since I listened to a CD. I have a very large collection of disks, but ripped them all to my media server long ago.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Those 4 foot tall open boxes you'd walk by in Walmart or other stores with movie movie DVD's or music CD's piled in a heap? I don't think I ever bought even one. I'd always flip through them and wonder why I'd never heard of these movies or music

• Haha
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When I moved to my present home in 2006, there was no cable TV or broadband. So, I started accumulating DVD's when they were on sale. I bought a fair number from those big bins! But you had to be willing to spend some time and dig down deep, LOL. Over the course of several years, I ripped about 600 movies and 600 TV shows from my DVD collection. Also have some Blu Ray disks but not nearly that many. Too much trouble to rip those. I have about 2 terabytes on my media server, which is only half the capacity of the SSD.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My girlfriend at the time, in 2017, bought me a brand new Blu Ray, but I've only used it once since. But I keep it because I like westerns, and will watch them in the future (or so I say to myself).

Reactions: Boyd