Best Hills/Overlooks?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Hi all, I'm looking for some new areas to explore so I wanted to hear about some of the best hills/overlooks that are in the Pine Barrens. I've been to APH several times and love it there, but looking for something new. I got out my topos to find spots, but it is hard to tell what it really looks like without being there. For example, it looks like on the maps that Bear Swamp hill may overlook the Pygmy Pines, but does it actually? Thanks all!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last time I was at Bear Swamp Hill, the trees hid most of the view.. My LIDAR based map is a good way to find the high spots (see the elevation scale at the top right). Spring Hill is one of my favorite places. There is an old gravel pit here with nice views:

http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.766346,-74.449024,16

Then of course there's Forked River Mountain:

http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.847595,-74.288736,16

You might also enjoy my newest LIDAR based map that combines shaded terrain with aerial imagery (it's free). You can download it for use on your computer (with Garmin's free Basecamp software or Google Earth) and it also works on newer Garmin handheld devices. Complete instructions for MacOSX and Windows are included - see this thread:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/lidar-enhanced-aerial-views.10340/

Here's a direct link to the download:

boydsmaps.com/download/LIDAR_in_the_Pines_020.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperChooch

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I would link you to some exact spots that you would fall in love with but that might be frowned upon here since many folks on here I"m sure like these same spots.I will throw some hints though.Look at your topos and yes Boy'ds lidar would be a big help especially if your not Topo savvy.Here are a few names.Check out the Spring Hill area,especially the south side and make some discoveries of your own.Alos the area east of 539 near the Warren grove Bombing range is known as the Lower plains .The whole area is awesome.There are some real nice isolated seldom sisted areas east of 539 that gets you away from most of the obnoxious plane noise.Also they do not make bombing runs on Sunday so it's nice a quiet out there then. Also there is a very nice spot along a tight sand road south of and in view of Coyle Filed which is the airstrip visible on topo and aerial south of 72 and west of 539. There is also on decent spot in the Little Plains which is north of the radio towers that are sw of Warren Grove.Also Forked River Mtn as mentioned is good but don't limit yourself to the peak itself,go sw along the ridge,there is a cycle trail following it with more views down the ridge further.There is a bowl on Spring Hill and another in lower plains where when you get down in the bowl you can see no man made objects like towers on the horizon.You can pretend your in the Canadian taiga,nothing but little trees to all horizons.This is hard to do in summer with deer flies chewing on you but quite easy in winter.

Reactions: SuperChooch

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hi all, I'm looking for some new areas to explore so I wanted to hear about some of the best hills/overlooks that are in the Pine Barrens. I've been to APH several times and love it there, but looking for something new. I got out my topos to find spots, but it is hard to tell what it really looks like without being there. For example, it looks like on the maps that Bear Swamp hill may overlook the Pygmy Pines, but does it actually? Thanks all!

You could try Google Earth and use the tilt feature. Problem is the elevations are not that dramatic; example below is Bear Swamp Hill in the distance. The one below it is Apple Pie Hill.

159214546.jpg

159214675.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't use google earth anymore, but seem to recall there was a setting for vertical exaggeration. If so, set that to a high value and it will make the elevation changes more obvious. :)

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Because of fire suppression there are many less places to get good views. One of the best view around use to be on 72 at Coyle Field but that is a bummer anymore.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for all the great feedback! Boyd, the LIDAR maps are great! I use google earth to keep track of places I've been and ideas on where to go so this was a great add!

Manumuskin, the lower plains area you are referring to, I've been to the pigmy plains on the west side of 539, right around log lane, near the gates of the range. Is the area you are referring to, that is east of 539, north or south of log lane?

Thanks again!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't know what you mean by "Log Lane" I can't find that on the topo but I have attached a map to the area.The Egg harbor /Stafford twp line has a narrow road that you can drive from 539.It is tight and where it crosses the small swamp headed south there is a larger puddle with a go around and a stump you have to watch in the go around but it is a good road as long as you don't mind getting pinstriped.This road has some excellent views and there are several others along a small trail visible on aerials and some more attainable only by bushwacking along the ridges.Also bear swamp hill has no views due to trees except a small gap facing west but if you go to the old pit on the south side of Spring hill and go to the top and face south you get a gorgeous view of bear swamp hill.the pit is here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.766714914708906&lng=-74.44879788558961&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=

Attachments

• plains east.jpg
    plains east.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 353

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for the map, that is right in the area that I was thinking. I know Log Ln doesn't show up on the topos, but if you look on google maps or Boyd's maps, it is actually the trail that crosses through the red circle in your map. I have never been on that side of 539, only the other side, but i'll check it out!

Reactions: manumuskin