Beware of Beaver

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thats interesting. I didn't know that could happen. Something to be wary of for sure in our travels. I'll have to sharpen my walking stick.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Thats interesting. I didn't know that could happen. Something to be wary of for sure in our travels. I'll have to sharpen my walking stick.
Rabies can infect any mammal, even a mouse. It's not the biggest danger out there, but it's always something to keep in mind. I had a rabid groundhog in my driveway when I lived in Upper Freehold township back in the early 90s.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

You have to keep a watch on Buddy when he encounters and animal. :)

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I have had a few rabid animals to contend with over the years. Some of the signs are very obvious but in some cases, you might not realize right off. Best to be careful and careful for your pet. In two cases, animal control had us go through a strange disposal process I would have thought would be their deal.

50 pounds, pretty hefty beaver... I don't know that I've seen any that big out here but I have seen a few very large ones. I can not recall who, but some time ago a fellow who posts occasionally told a tale of a late evening canoeing. He mentioned behaviour from a nearby beaver that I suppose would indicate that they can be aggressive in a territorial fashion.
I really don't know much about Beaver behaviour so I wouldn't go out of my way to get near one just the same.

g.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
G,

Two years ago, while paddling the stretch of river near your Uncle's, I came to a spot where there were at least two beavers violently slapping their tails against the water. Very territorial. Hopefully my dog will never have any run-ins with one on the river.

Never run into a rabid beaver, myself, or even a territorial one. On my grandfather's farm in Aroostook County, Maine, there were beavers for many years on the stream that fed into the irrigation pond. We didn't see them at all during daylight hours (although we did wonder upon their handiwork), but once sunset came, they came out like someone had blown a work whistle. The slightest stirring of human beings caused them to retreat immediately into the darkness.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I can not recall who, but some time ago a fellow who posts occasionally told a tale of a late evening canoeing. He mentioned behaviour from a nearby beaver that I suppose would indicate that they can be aggressive in a territorial fashion.
g.

George,

That fellow would probably be me. :) I did post, anyway, about a full-moon kayak enjoyed on the meadow section of the Mullica River. During the entire duration of the trip, I shared territory with what seemed to be one splash-happy beaver. I had put in at Lock's Bridge and paddled upstream above the beaver dam. As did the tree chewer. It splashed nearby, alarmingly so, several times as I progressed. I didn't sense the beaver was being aggressive (I didn't feel threatened at all), but definitely territorial, or at least as if it was sounding an alarm. I sensed the beaver was swimming upstream to lose me, but I was catching up at every corner.

A few times I was close enough to get a shower from his splashes. Felt sorta good.

Bill

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George,
That fellow would probably be me.

You're right, Took me a minute and realized your whole nocturnal thing fit the "Bill" so to speak. Guess I was off a bit on the "posts occasionally" thing but It's been awhile & I didn't connect. That was a great story though. The escapade with the Beaver and the darkening trip back sounded awesome.
Thanks for the reminder.

g.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Speaking of beavers, I was recently took my daughter for her first kayaking experience on the lake at Tip Seaman Park. I would never have paddled there if I wasn't for looking for someplace close to take her. I guess I take it for granted because it's too close to home and too "urban" of a lake (is that possible in Tuckerton?).

Anyway, as soon as we paddled upstream into the creek feeding the lake we came upon a huge beaver lodge. The water being deep and clear (much more so than the stagnant somewhat dirty lake would have you believe), I could see the lodge stretching beneath our boats almost to the other side of the stream! The lodge had recently cut branches, so it seemed active. Maybe I can paddle there sometime again soon at dusk and try to get some pictures of the residents, hoping they are more agreeable than the ones in the news report!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've had alot of beaver encounters and in my experience they have never had an aggresive disposition. I believe the tail slapping thing is more of a warning for other beavers. I think the rabbies is solely to blame for this particular beaver's violent behavior.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We've had a few encounters with foxes and coons over the years that were not behaving normally. Fortunately I never had an opportunity to find out if any of them had rabies. I tell my daughters that if they see a wild animal in the open, and it doesn't run away, just assume there's something wrong with it and leave the area.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
We've had a few encounters with foxes and coons over the years that were not behaving normally. Fortunately I never had an opportunity to find out if any of them had rabies. I tell my daughters that if they see a wild animal in the open, and it doesn't run away, just assume there's something wrong with it and leave the area.

Good advice. I've seen rabid racoons before. I used to be a park ranger (summer job) at a county park and we had rabid racoon. it was out in a field, foaming at the mouth, and it attacked our pick up truck as we pulled up to it. We had an insanly rabid ground hog too.

Have you seen any of these recent zombie movies (dawn of the dead remake, 28 days) they behave like the zombies in those movies. It is very alarming.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Good advice. I've seen rabid racoons before. I used to be a park ranger (summer job) at a county park and we had rabid racoon. it was out in a field, foaming at the mouth, and it attacked our pick up truck as we pulled up to it. We had an insanly rabid ground hog too.

Have you seen any of these recent zombie movies (dawn of the dead remake, 28 days) they behave like the zombies in those movies. It is very alarming.

Jeff

I haven't, but I have seen coons staggering around in the open, and I know exactly what you mean. If you see those guys out in the middle of the day you know something's wrong.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I had a group of beaver here in VA. that were building dams on the creek behind some property I used to own. They were pretty docile and I was amazed at how close we could stalk up to them when they were working. I don't think they are the smartest critters in the woods. Once I got so close that I could have touched one. I canoe on the Rappahannock river here all summer and they will scare the heck out of you when paddling at night. I have had them slap so close to the boat that the splash has hit me. About the size of beavers; National Audubon society field guide to North American mammals gives the record weight at 110 LBS.