Big change to the map menu

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You may not notice anything different, but a major change was just made "under the hood". With the standard Leaflet system, if you zoomed in too far then you couldn't choose many of the maps on the menu. This caused a lot of confusion and frustration.

Just finished my new code - now you can always select any map from the menu and it will automatically zoom if needed. This is what happens on NJPB maps, so it should feel familiar. But it was quite a project to write my own code for this from scratch! :)

Let me know if you have any problems

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well done Boyd.

Of course there is a small caveat; you must also be familiar with where you are on some maps. From your current map, you may then choose the 1970 or 1971 water maps and be staring at at blank space regardless of zoom. In fact, there is a high chance of that happening because most people on this forum won't be in those areas but infrequently. You the have to span toward the coast or the delaware river, or zoom out to see available areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes, that's a problem when you have maps that cover different areas. We kicked this around awhile ago, and I don't think there's any good solution - especially with the 1977 and 1970 imagery, which is scattered all over the place. But it is covered in the help screens (in bright red!) and it's really quite simple.... :)

"If you see a blank screen when switching maps, zoom all the way out."

https://online.boydsmaps.com/understanding-and-using-the-map-menu/

It's also covered in the Frequently Asked Questions section

https://online.boydsmaps.com/frequently-asked-questions/

"My screen goes blank when I switch to the 1970 or 1977 NJGIN imagery, even though I am currently viewing a location in New Jersey on another map.
The 1970 and 1977 NJGIN aerials only cover selected wetland areas and the rest of the map is blank. Just zoom out and you’ll see the areas that are covered by these maps and can zoom back in on them."

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx