Big coyote

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was driving on pasadena road today. I was west bound between the sand pit and route 72 when I thought a doe was crossing the road in front of me. It was an absolutely huge coyote. Biggest one I've seen yet. It was easily as large as a LARGE german sheppard except taller and less mass. It was reddish brown, a color I've mostly observed in only young coyote.

it crossed the road in a diagnol fashion at a fast speed while looking behind him intently...as if being chased by something. Aside from the red/brown fur, it was very wolf looking and I would suspect leaned in that direction genetically. The presence of coyote in the pine barrens excite and amuse me, but I must admit I would not want confront something of that size in the open woods.

Jeff

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
I concur with your last sentence . About 3 yrs ago was in the same general area , very late @ night . It was just about this time of year . I heard coyotes howl for the 1st time . I will never forget that sound .Hair came up on the back of my neck . You also bring up a good point , the eastern coyote has substantial amount of wolf DNA ,and is in fact larger than its' western "cousin " . Leading Theory is that as it migrated eastward , went No. into Canada , "cross" bred with wolves , then migrated Southward . Have not seen the reddish phase .Apparently we have a healthy population up in here in Monmouth County . Can just imagine what's in the Pines :eek:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I snared a red phase back in February, beautiful color. Each coyote snared or shot has to be reported and they ask for color phase.
Two years ago I found a completely yellow large male dog that someone had shot discarded in a remote area well off 206. It was in good condition and nearly frozen so I was able to salvage it.
I skinned it out and sent it out for tanning. It came out great.

Sorry, no pics for you. I know the site rules too well !

Reactions: joc

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Jeff, I had a nice blonde one there early this spring. It was also very large but almost every yote I've seen has been big. I also saw maybe a juvie about a week later. All these where right along the straight away were the tracks are close to the road. I've seen deer crossing there constantly, so maybe that is why the coyotes are there.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The woods around the sand pit along Pasadena are a very good place to see a coyote. I have seen more coyotes in the general area of the Rt 72 and Pasadena crossroads that anywhere else.

I shot this on the run while a large blond phase coyote crossed along the track directly in front of me last summer as I was heading over to the tracks below Mt Misery while hiking. This dog was very smart and always kept trees between the two us while we viewed one another.

coyote small.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
More like to hear them at night Mike.Seeing them can be anywhere any time day or night but they sing mostly at night.You might want to try sitting quietly along an unused sand road that has coyote turds at regular intervals.They usually dump white hair filled logs right along their regular trails and they often use lightly used man trails.