Big Guns

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I'm sure coyotes are the main reason for a 20 percent decline. With no natural enemy in south jersey besides man I would think coyote populations would be exploding. With the addition of a good amount of deer there will def be plenty of food. Is the deer population really diminishing like jeff(woodjin) suggested? Seems like they are all over the place.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
when your alone in the pines at dusk when a pack of them are bringing down a deer close to where you are hunting its kinda cool and wold kingdome and all. makes for a fast walk out back to the truck!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Is the deer population really diminishing like jeff(woodjin) suggested? Seems like they are all over the place.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I was saying that the deer population is not hugely affected by the coyote. I have seen their kills, but there are ALOT of deer out there!! In my opinion plently for both coyote and hunters.

A few years back I was in the Adirondacks. Every night you would hear a chorus of coyotes. I was driving there one night and saw 5 to 7 coyote walking along the roadside, at different intervals, within about 10 miles of road. There were coyote road kills every where also. Out west they are running around the streets of LA and frequent suburbia. These areas are representative of abundant coyote. The pine barrens aren't anywhere near that kind of coyote density.

A good indication of a mostly nocturnal animal population is road kill. How many coyotes have you seen lying on the road? Probably not many if any at all.

I am pro hunting in general and don't oppose the coyote being legal small game. I just think that killing them an leaving them to rot just to keep their numbers in check is irresponsible at this point.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
when your alone in the pines at dusk when a pack of them are bringing down a deer close to where you are hunting its kinda cool and wold kingdome and all. makes for a fast walk out back to the truck!

That is cool. Haven't had the pleasure to witness/hear that yet!!

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Excerpt from and article concerning the Eastern coyote:

In Nova Scotia we have the luxury of looking to other areas with coyotes and deer to see the impact on herds there. Invariably, biologists from these jurisdictions tell us that coyotes by themselves have little or no effect on the number of deer. In fact may of these areas are trying to reduce deer populations to bring them ore in line with the ability of the habitat to support them. For example, New York state first recorded coyotes in the 1930s and had a well established population by the 1960s. Despite a healthy population of coyotes, New York's deer population hit an all time high during the 1980s.

Although coyotes can and do kill healthy adult der, they are more likely to catch animals which are young or in poor physical condition. In many cases these animals would have died form other causes even if not killed by coyotes. this helps to explain why coyotes have not been observed to control deer populations. Additionally, coyotes place controls on their own populations by establishing exclusive breeding territories where only one coyote pair breeds in a territory. Territory size is somewhat regulated by the availability of food. In Maine, these territories average about 50 square kilometers (20 square miles).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A NJ article on Coyote Management:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2006/dighnt19-24.pdf

After reading the article is dawned on me that I had seen a blonde coyote on Lacey Road near the Forked River Mountains. It was about 5 or 6 years ago. I was driving and he was loping along the road heading west for some reason. I went back to him and got out of the car and followed him on foot for about 20 seconds. I got to within 30 feet of him. He was blonde/reddish, and I thought ..."no way is that a fox, he is too tall and has long legs....this is odd, is it a wolf breed"? I also dismissed coyote cause he was not short like the one I photographed the other day.

I think I posted about it, but was confused about it until I read this article. By the way, I almost got him killed. He turned and looked at me and trotted across the road into the path of a large sand truck. It was close, but he slipped into the woods.

I wonder if coyote and fox have the capacity to breed.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A few years ago my wife came home and told me she saw some strange animal along the parkway. It was on the West side of pwky south just before exit 89, it was standing there and a state trooper was pulled up near it just looking at it. she discribed it as red like a fox but big and dog-like with very long legs. When I showed her the picture from the article you just posted, she thought that the color was kind of right but the animal she saw had longer legs and shorter ears that stood straight up.

Now, exit 89 is no where near the forked river mountains but it seems like a similar animal. Maybe my wife saw a blonde coyote, but she seems to think it was different. Maybe she was going to fast on the prkwy to see it clearly, or maybe we have some sort of strange undiscovered canine roaming the woods!!

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There is a rare north american canine called the red wolf. It is almost extinct and is not known to exist in the wild. I don't have a link but google it and see if it looked anything like that. IT is a long shot of course.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
red wolves do exist in the wild at this point - but only because of breeding and reintroduction programs. they were captured and bred before they officially kicked it in the wild some 20 years ago. Now I know there's a wild population of them in North Carolina. I think they may also be released in the FL panhandle, because there's a small island about an hour east of where I live in FL - where red wolves roam wild, reproduce, and are systematically captured and released in other areas. Interestingly enough - the unusually high population of wolves on this island are almost exclusively supported by feral boar.

Needless to say I'm dying to get on this island and do some camping.

As far as one making it up to the pines - its probably pretty unlikely. I could see a release program being performed in PA somewhere, but that one wolf would have to go through ALOT to get into the barrens. Also these wolves are very well kept track of.

-Bob