Big, really big Cedar

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Lets check it out Bob. then compare it to the one I found. Maybe the one I found will have it beat, I don't know, I've never seen this one along the Tuckahoe. I don't know where it is supposed to be either.

Jeff

"This trip visited the Muskee Creek, Manumuskin River, and Tuckahoe River watersheds.....The last stop of the day was in the headwaters of the Muskee Creek. Here in a timber cut a very large Atlantic white cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides) was noted as having escaped the logger's axe. The circumference at breast height of this tree is 7 feet, 7.5 inches, making it the largest white cedar in the state."

Ain't the internet grand?

Steve

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
You know I am no good at estimating tree circumference but If the largest is 7' 7.5" I think the tree I'm thinking of may be right in that same ballpark. It is in an unsuspecting spot, a dark little corner of the world, it would be funny if it was the largest.

BobM said:
Bear, this cedar just keeps getting larger real quick. See the may 26 entry:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/Biology/bio_professors/latham/fieldtrips2001.html

"The Muskee Creek area will then be visited to see the state's largest (ca. 10' in circumference) living Atlantic White Cedar (Chamaecyperus thyoides)."

Well maybe we should cool our heels. In a couple of years we'll be able to see it from our houses. :D

Have you been able to find a location? It may be like looking for a needle in a haystack, albeit a rather large and it seems a growing needle.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Fig 1. The New Jersey record Atlantic white-cedar located at Nixon Branch, Cumberland County in southern New Jersey - is 9 feet 6 inches in circumference at breast height. This battered old tree (age estimated at 300 years) grows not far inland from Delaware Bay and has lost its top at least once to hurricane winds. Most Atlantic white-cedars grow to 70 to 80 feet in height, with a trunk diameter of 2 to 4 feet. Few forest trees grow in denser stands, and trees in such stands have long straight trunks and narrow crowns (Collingwood and Brush 1974).
fig1.gif

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks fur.....ball. Dang it, can't we call you something else?

Is Nixon's Branch even close to the Muskee? Are we talking the same tree?

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Furball's not my name! Just an alias.

This name is a personal joke amongst friends of mine, a swear word alternative if you will, but you can call me David.