Biking the batona trail.

Cmarcan

Aug 13, 2013
New to the forums here. Just wondering if the old section of the batona trail between rt. 72 and rt. 532 is still marked or if the blazes are gone. I plan to ride the trail in its entirety in one day so I am pre-riding sections to become familiar with it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I plan to ride the trail in its entirety in one day so I am pre-riding sections to become familiar with it.

You might want to reconsider your plans.

The Batona Trail is designated for hiking only.
Motor vehicles, bicycles and horses are not permitted on
the trail. Please note that all trail users are subject to the
regulations of Brendan T. Byrne, Wharton and Bass River
State Forests. Enjoy the beauty of the Pinelands, taking
only your experiences and leaving only your footprints.

Cmarcan

Aug 13, 2013
Well that stinks. I get rid of my atv and dirt bike and get a mountain bike, so I can ride state trails and they still stiff arm me...I try to play by the rules and the man still shuts me down. Oh welp...looks like ill take the risk to get that impounded too.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I've thru-hiked the Batona Trail 92 times and I can tell you that people ride mountain bikes on it, dirt bikes, horses and even vehicles in some sections. I've lost count of how many times I've stepped in horse s*#t hiking the Batona Trail at night near the Carranza Memorial. I wonder how the owners of those horses would feel if I moved my bowels all over the ground where they walk?

There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads and fire lines you can explore in the pines on a mountain bike, however, if you do decide to bike the Batona Trail, let me give you two bits of advice that will keep you in good stead with the hikers.

1) If you're approaching hikers from the front, be courteous and yield to them. If you come barreling down on them aggressively with a posture of, "Get out of my way or get run over," you may annoy them to the point where they phone the Park Police and complain.

2) If you're approaching somebody from behind, gently start clapping your hands, softly whistle or say "hello" when you get within 50 yards of them to alert them of your presence. Don't wait and shout, "EXCUSE ME!" when you're two feet behind them. Nobody likes being startled like that.

Cmarcan

Aug 13, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to destroy the trail or run people off of it. I'll be sure to follow those words of wisdom so that I don't get the park police called on me. Although I haven't seen a single hiker in the 16miles I've already ridden, I'll be sure to be courteous.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'll be sure to follow those words of wisdom so that I don't get the park police called on me.

Now that's really a piss poor attitude. :rolleyes: I'll be sure to give the park police a call today and let them know of your plans. Have a great ride.

Cmarcan

Aug 13, 2013
Well thanks 46er, I appreciate the gesture. I'm not sure if your trolling or just a naturally rude person, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the police and then I'll know who to thank. If I see them ill be sure they know that I always hike with a mountain bike by my side while I walk it through the trail.

Cmarcan

Aug 13, 2013
And no one has answered my original question! Is the old section of the trail still marked between 72 and 532?

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
And no one has answered my original question! Is the old section of the trail still marked between 72 and 532?
It is. In fact somebody just re-blazed the old section of the Batona Trail near Bass River.

You won't see many people on the Batona Trail. I would say 50% of the time I hike it I don't pass another person.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
i have had motorcycles and bikes try run me down on the Batona trail and the AT. Called rangers on 2 and they were caught at Batsto. there are so many places to mountain bike, unlimited places. Why do you deliberately want to violate the rules that were put in place for good reason?
P.S. If you come riding up on Santa Claus, that's me :)

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I live on a barrier island and I'm suffering from a serious case Seasonal Affective Shubbie Disorder. I'm dreaming of a calm, cool, sunny 48 degree day in November on the Batona Trail, with my cell phone turned off.

Reactions: John and Ms Oats