Bird Hunting Question in Greenwood

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Looking for some info on the stocking of Greenwood Forest. I've been to Colliers Mills many times, but Im now closer to Greenwood. Anyone know what areas the bird stockings take place? Thought Id inquire here before calling the DEC. Id like to start scouting the area for next season. I know theres some hedgerows and fields somewhere back there, but have been unable to find them on my own.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Looking for some info on the stocking of Greenwood Forest. I've been to Colliers Mills many times, but Im now closer to Greenwood. Anyone know what areas the bird stockings take place? Thought Id inquire here before calling the DEC. Id like to start scouting the area for next season. I know theres some hedgerows and fields somewhere back there, but have been unable to find them on my own.

Mike,
The center of this image are the feed plots in Greenwood which are located within spitting distance of 539.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.853620184014325&lng=-74.39323425292969&z=12&type=h&gpx=

Stafford Forge, a little south on 539, is set up the same way with the plots close to 539.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.69173362217253&lng=-74.3675708770752&z=14&type=h&gpx=

I am not a WMA bird hunter so I can only guess that they release the pen raised birds near the plots.
Greenwood does receive quail too.
The foxes and coyotes are probably doing jumping jacks as the truck pulls away.
:)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Thanks alot Rednek. I've actually been down Bryant Rd many times, but never made a right back to those plots before. I can make it there from my house taking dirt roads the whole way.. should be fun. I really appreciate it. You're right.. its one of the few places Jersey releases quail. I hear a lot of wild ones too near our house in Bamber.
Mike

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

You can park in the big lot on 539 or go around to the north side or west side, the parking areas are obvious. I prefer the west on the day after stocking :D Wouldn't go when they stock if the quail were 5lbs. They stock by truck though the quail management area, not all are released in one place. Its very easy to get turned around in there, I don't know how many guys I've given directions out over the years.

Peaslee is the only other WMA with quail releases. They put out 5500 in both WMA's, and finish just before New Year's. Check the F&W web site for the schedule, they normally release it at the beginning of October.

88988289.jpg

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Thanks 46er. Im sure you know Im on the state website all the time checking the trout fishing news. Tying flies is actually what got me into birds. Im guessing from the picture you're a bird guy too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I heard about them some time ago, when Joe Matter started it. I wish them success, but I do not think the problems with quail in NJ can be resolved given the conditions of the bobwhite, especially in NJ. Perhaps a moratorium on hunting for several years to allow current stocks to reproduce to sufficient numbers would help, but I have no hope of that. I am not aware of any successful reintroduction of bobwhite, although there has been success in two northwest states reintroducing a different quail species.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I hear a lot of bobwhite calls here in Bamber. Im guessing some are small reproducing populations and others might make it here from the stocking yards since our road backs up to Greenwood. Used to hear them now and then even when we lived in Brick.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
The Division stocks Quail on the Greenwood WMA and the Peaslee WMA .The NJQP is on the move.We seeded 25 acreas at Peaslee,with warm season grass's and another 85 acres will be seeded starting.May16.We the NJQP meet once a month.We have quite a few projects started We have no intention of seeing our Quail go as the Passinger pidgeon did.We are always looking for new members that feel as we do.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’ve wondered the same thing about native quail that I have about bluebirds. Perhaps these are not species which are in decline from a “natural” population but rather are returning to historic numbers that existed before large expanses of forest were opened up for agriculture, logging for charcoal production, etc.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I’ve wondered the same thing about native quail that I have about bluebirds. Perhaps these are not species which are in decline from a “natural” population but rather are returning to historic numbers that existed before large expanses of forest were opened up for agriculture, logging for charcoal production, etc.

Bobwhite have been in decline since the late 60's through out their historic range, lots of theories why, but no real answers. An article at the link.

http://www.wildlifetrends.com/pdf/quail.pdf

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
We the NJQP have a pretty good idea as to the decline of the B0b-White Quail.We are not sitting on our butts and talking about it.We are actively doing something about it.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I wouldn’t be so quick to bad mouth people for discussing a problem. That’s how successful solutions to problems begin. Anything less is likely to result in spinning of wheels. The “with us or against us” mentality is even worse when it comes to solutions.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Although Y-Buc can surely fend for himself, let me just add a little something.
Y-Buc Bill is a dear friend of mine and one of the most intersesting and knowledgable woodsman that you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.
He was stump jumpin, hardtail Harley flathead 45's and BSA's through the pines back when most of us weren't even thought of, including me.

He is 83+/- now and has more on his outdoor plate than you could imagine.
Bill heads up the Camden County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs and chairs their monthly meetings.
He makes every weekly meeting at my club and spearheads the management of a 6 acre nature trail system on our club property.

When he sees a problem, he is the first to jump in to help.

The NJ Quail project is one of Bill's causes and he will glady take any help he can get.

I think the quail project is a big step in the right direction because it is not so much about putting out birds as it is about proper habitat management and enhancement.

Scott

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Scott ,I thank you for the kind words.Fellow Piney's ,I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.That was not my intent.We are a hard working bunch of Sportsmen and Sportswomen who would like to once again hear the call of the Bob White Quail.It's the NJQP goal to improve habitat and to restore our Quail population.We started this project in 2007.We have Quail Unlimited,U.S.Fish and Wildlife,Ducks Unlimited,Waste Management working with us for a common goal.If any of you would like to join us,you are more then welcome.NJQP will have a table to the Batsto Decoy show this Sunday.Stop by and meet Joe Matter and others.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Miscommuniation is a norm on the internet. It sounded like you were putting the rest of us who arent involved down. This is the first time Ive heard of NJQP and would be interested in learning more about it. When and where are you meeting Sunday. Batsto Village Im assuming?