Bird I.D.?

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Wow! Good call! Any idea how common they are in Ocean County? Do they nest here?

The last few years I have been seeing a lot wider array of avian friends around my property.

They are common in the Pines.

Listen for their beep beep beep call

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wow! Good call! Any idea how common they are in Ocean County? Do they nest here?

The last few years I have been seeing a lot wider array of avian friends around my property.

They are very common here, also get Red-breasted occasionally. I am in Northern Ocean county and have them year round and have them nesting for the past 4 years. Let me know if you'd like some plans for a nest box.

4986109319_b821926ebc_z.jpg

4986063521_1061e3a707_z.jpg

4986109311_c2c536a75d_z.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Putting up nest boxes is a great thing to do. Most people think of feeders first when it comes to helping birds, but in the suburbs nest sites are more of a limiting factor for cavity nesting birds than food supply. There are plenty of trees and shrubs in those areas that provide them with food, but the dead trees and large limbs that are soft enough to be excavated for nest cavities are usually removed by homeowners and park managers for safety reasons. Nest boxes help replace that loss.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Putting up nest boxes is a great thing to do. Most people think of feeders first when it comes to helping birds, but in the suburbs nest sites are more of a limiting factor for cavity nesting birds than food supply. There are plenty of trees and shrubs in those areas that provide them with food, but the dead trees and large limbs that are soft enough to be excavated for nest cavities are usually removed by homeowners and park managers for safety reasons. Nest boxes help replace that loss.

I only put out the feeders in winter and spring, they'll do just fine on their own the other seasons. Hummers are the exception :D Are they still around Wells Mills?

1071905876_5e2199049f_z.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
We still have plenty of hummers here. Our staff also occasionally debates the value and reason for feeding birds in general. One school of thought is that just because birds congregate at your feeder, even in the worst winter weather, it doesn’t mean that they need the extra food. These are birds that evolved to be in this area, eating the locally available food, at the time of the year in question. The birds at your feeder are just taking the path of least resistance. It is normally advised that you do not feed virtually every other type of wildlife, but birds always seem to be the exception. The biggest benefit to feeding wild birds is to the humans doing the feeding, who get to appreciate and learn more about our native birds. It is encouraged because birdwatching has probably drawn more people to appreciate the natural environment than any other activity around the home. If this idea holds any truth at all, then there is no reason you should feed at one time of the year and not others. But like I said, it’s just one common take on the subject. (I won’t say if it is mine :))

They are very common here, also get Red-breasted occasionally. I am in Northern Ocean county and have them year round and have them nesting for the past 4 years. Let me know if you'd like some plans for a nest box.

I would very much like those plans, if you have them! My favorite visitors this season have been the occasional nuthatch and the (newly) abundant black-capped chickadee.

Hummers here in Beachwood, as well.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
....and the (newly) abundant black-capped chickadee.

Hummers here in Beachwood, as well.

Those Chickadee's are more likely Carolina Chickadee's, not that easy to distinuish between the two. I don't recall seeing a Black-capped around here for quite some time, I'm in the next rivertown to you :)

I'll find those plans and PM you.