Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bird-killer gets jail time for drunken driving

http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,1095989,00.html

Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/30/04
By KATHLEEN HOPKINS
TOMS RIVER BUREAU

TOMS RIVER -- Spared a prison term in April for killing exotic birds at a Lacey zoo for abused and neglected animals, a 19-year-old Waretown man yesterday was sentenced to 90 days in the Ocean County Jail for violating his probation by driving drunk.

Superior Court Judge Edward J. Turnbach sentenced Matthew Mercuro to the jail term but spared him from state prison, saying that except for the drunken driving incident in June, Mercuro had complied with his probation.

Mercuro was one of three young men given probation for a destructive crime spree that involved killing flightless, exotic birds at the Associated Humane Societies' Popcorn Park Zoo for abused and neglected animals in Lacey's Forked River section. The case sparked the anger of animal lovers worldwide.

"I'd like to let you know I'm ashamed of my actions," Mercuro told the judge, sporting a goatee and wearing a herringbone blazer, shirt, tie and khaki pants. "While I'm ashamed of the things I've done, I'm willing to suffer the consequences."

In July, Turnbach sentenced a codefendant of Mercuro, Thomas Cavanaugh, 19, of Lacey, to an indeterminate term up to five years in state prison for violating his probation by using heroin about a month and a half after receiving the probationary term.

Mercuro, Cavanaugh, and Matthew Ronneberg, 19, also of Lacey, each were sentenced April 16 to three years' probation for the crime spree committed on May 18 and 19, 2003. Ronneberg has not violated probation.

Each of the three admitted they killed three ducks and five exotic, flightless birds at the Popcorn Park Zoo. They also stoned a goose to death at Wells Mills County Park in Waretown (Ocean Township). In addition, they spray-painted swastikas and set fires at Pinelands Paintball and smashed a window at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church, both in Manchester.

When Turnbach sentenced the men to probation, he ordered them to continue to undergo drug rehabilitation, and he warned them if they violated the terms of their probation, he would send them to prison.

"Some punishment is required," Turnbach told Mercuro yesterday.

Mercuro was in an outpatient drug rehabilitation program when, on June 19, he was issued a summons by Waretown police for driving under the influence of alcohol.

His attorney, Brian White, said that Mercuro has since been found guilty of the offense and lost his driver's license for three months. He noted that while Mercuro is not yet old enough to legally drink alcohol, he told the judge his client has refrained from using illegal drugs.

Mercuro yesterday said he has come to realize his main problem is with alcohol, and he has been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

"I'm hoping that they can rehabilitate or get this guy on the right track," John Bergmann, Popcorn Park Zoo director, said in a telephone interview after the court proceeding.

No one from the zoo was at the court proceeding yesterday.

"My initial feeling is that 90 days is a short amount of time for violating probation," Bergmann said.

But, he added, he did not believe drinking and driving was as serious as doing heroin.

Cavanaugh was sent to the state prison system for up to five years for violating probation after being ejected from Integrity House, an inpatient, drug rehabilitation program in Newark, on May 28 after twice testing positive for heroin use.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
"I'd like to let you know I'm ashamed of my actions," Mercuro told the judge, sporting a goatee and wearing a herringbone blazer, shirt, tie and khaki pants. "While I'm ashamed of the things I've done, I'm willing to suffer the consequences."

:bs:

But, he added, he did not believe drinking and driving was as serious as doing heroin.

:eek:

Man, I miss paying a cell phone bill and it's like the world is against me. These people kill animals, drive drunk, do heroin... and they get off light.

Man this world blows.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I knew eventually I would bring this thread to the front again. It appears that one of the individuals who killed the bird at the Popcorn Park Zoo, and had managed to stay out of trouble, slipped up and burglarized a house and accidently left an item behind which implicated him. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed for sure!

Police capture bird killer wanted on burglary, theft charges

http://www.app.com/article/20090514/NEWS/90514073/1070/NEWS02

Guy

Steamed!

"His attorney, Brian White, said that Mercuro has since been found guilty of the offense and lost his driver's license for three months. He noted that while Mercuro is not yet old enough to legally drink alcohol, he told the judge his client has refrained from using illegal drugs."

Did I miss something? If he is not yet old enough to drink alcohol, doesn't that then become an illegal substance? (Oh, I guess that's the alcohol manufacturers fault for pretty packaging of a substance that may or may not be illegal for purchase and or consumption! Ergo; Illegal substance / drug!) Jeez I hate lawyers, legislators, etc... in NJ! Is you is, or is you ain't my baby? What does one have to do to get justice? If you or I have an open container rolling around in the back seat or anything resembling alcohol on our breath, BAM - you lose everything! (your right to drive, and probably your job, your right to hang onto your money (Court costs, fine - for Jon to balance the state budjet, insurance stipend for three years) and having bad Juju put on your permanent record, litterally! I have a job that requires a commercial drivers licence. this reqiures me to have half the legal limit on my own time as well as on the job! For me to hear that this ****** piece of humanity who isn't even old enough to legally drink, get away with flagrantly violating the law sucessfully really curdles my milk of human kindness! I'm not saying anyone in particular is directly responsible for the legislative situation, but I feel it's something to do with politics as usual! (Enough said for now...... Starting to realize why Pineys have a reputation for lawlessness!)