Bizarre, Rare Berry!!-Safe to Walk in Woods??

BirdWatchinGal

Feb 13, 2005
Manahawkin, NJ
Just got back from a nice walk in the woods, enjoying that 50 degree air and made what I was sure was an AMAZING DISCOVERY...... I found this very bright red ,almost the size of a ping pong ball "berry." The color was amazing and the texture so leathery I was puzzled. I was sure I'd found a never before seen berry of some type until.................I then saw more red "berries'" then lo and behold a bright GREEN one and then the one that gave it all away-PURPLE!!! As I walked a little further and spotted plywood propped up against the trees I realized I'd stumbled on a "Paint Ball Arena" that the kids had set up. I felt quite silly at that point but it was funny :)

When I got back I got the itchies which always happens after I go into the woods. My "ex" husband got lyme disease when we first moved here from a tick bite so I'm always SURE that I feel them on me even when there's nothing there. Last summer my kids were tormented by the abundance of those damn ticks, them and the million or two mosquitoes in the Beachview, Manahawkin Area. So....................

IS IT SAFE TO WALK IN THE WOODS THIS TIME OF THE YEAR?? I've heard that the ticks are never truly totally gone that you can still get them on you even in the middle of the coldest winter-IS THAT TRUE? I'd like to enjoy the woods before it gets too warm and I know from reading your posts that you all spend a lot of time walking out there. I know all the general precautions but it's nice to walk out there with no cares if you know what I mean.

Barb

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ticks are never gone. I pulled two off my dog's neck on Sunday that he picked up in Penn Swamp.
Winter slows them down a little but that's about it.
Chiggers are worse than ticks in my opinion but they get knocked down pretty good after the first hard frost and don't return until summer.
I am good for more than 100 ticks a year and never had any problems from them.
It could be my blood alcohol level, which stays pretty constant, with a few spikes this time of year from my homemade wine!
:)
Scott

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
pinelandpaddler said:
homemade wine, eh?

I'd like to to try some.

I'm actually working on a Pinelands beer project. Should be interesting.

Pinelandpaddler,

Are you brewing your own? My friend and I tried to start last fall but it got way too cold to do the entire process.

May I ask what type you are brewing?

Justin