Black racer, taken about a month ago in Wharton SF

Jeff

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
TeeGate said:

Nice shots, Jeff
In my experience, the black racer is the single most reliably aggressive snake in the U.S. Granted, most will withdraw rapidly when approached, but I have had the occassional individual strike at me and continue to pursue me as I backed away some considerable distance. My dad took some 8 mm. footage of one that was lying on the ground headed away from me; when I touched its tail it struck violently backwards towards me and in two frames of the movie its body was at a 45 degree angle with the ground headed toward me and its tail tip was off the ground. It continued to pursue and strike at me while I took more than 20 paces backwards. Although it's often stated that no snake can strike its own body length, that angry black racer did!. Awesome and gutsy creatures, those black racers! I've also heard that the mambas and some of the Australian elapids (young, light-bodied taipans, particularly) can also do it.

Dave

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I've had some big western coachwhips go on the savage attack. These were big 6-7 footers in Texas.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I've had similar experiences with racers . . . their reliable aggression is what makes them my favorite snake to catch -- its always exciting. I also had a black racer strike at a 45 degree angle--its was in allaire state park. When it struck (up) at me, it flung its body so violently that it actually "jumped" toward my face . . . despite the snake being common and harmless--it was clearly the most excellent wrangle I've ever had. I've always considered racers a "practice snake". Long before I dreamed of tackling anything venomous, I'd treat black racers as if they were--since they're always so quick and vicious, I thought of it as a sort of training in how to handle (even the most aggresive) snakes without either me or the snake getting hurt in the process.

-Bob

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Racers are cool and all....but i don't get why i haven't found one yet!!! I've heard there is no point in seeking them, because they just come up- but not for me. I'm always in racer habitat, open woodlands, open pine lands, manumuskin, belleplain, several spots in atlantic county, rocky outcroppings in PA, fliped tons of debris and found a lot of things, opposum, red sals, spadefoot toads, milk snakes, timber rattlesnakes, worm snakes, rat snakes but no racers... ??

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Black Racers

Next to worm snakes and ringnecks, racers are usually third on my list for total numbers. It has been my experience, also, that where they do exist, they are usually the only herptile because of their broad diet, eating all the good stuff including snakes! I know of other herpers who relocate the racers away from populations of more desirable species, i.e. Pine snakes.
Kyle