Black rat snake

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Caught a black rat snake near my house. They are so confrontational. I used to catch them when I was kid all the time. I did the ol' distract them with your left hand and catch em with your right had trick with him. My reflexes are still good! The tail catch method never works with these guys 'cause they almost always want a face off. Healthy specimen. approx. 3 1/2 feet.

Jeff

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:
Caught a black rat snake near my house. They are so confrontational. I used to catch them when I was kid all the time. I did the ol' distract them with your left hand and catch em with your right had trick with him. My reflexes are still good! The tail catch method never works with these guys 'cause they almost always want a face off. Healthy specimen. approx. 3 1/2 feet.

Jeff

Yeah, I agree that the black rat snakes can be of unpredictable behavior. There was a big "pilot black" that I once caught at a copperhead den in Connecticut when the denners were just emerging and sunning at the densite in early May.

He was really feisy and a challange to catch and was the only pilot black I ever found at that densite - or at any other copperhead den, for that matter. I released him after measuring and marking, and caught him at least once a year for four years thereafter until the den was destroyed by commercial homesite development in the gorge (Mianus Gorge, on the CT-NY border). With each re-capture and handling for measuring he was progressively less restive and more docile. I thought that rather amazing!

But when I reached the word "confrontational" in your post today, an image immediately leapt to mind of a big pine snake that I surprised as I was crawling up out of a cranbog ditch along the Wading river. She was so surprised that, rather than beat a hasty retreat, she threw herself into a coil and raised her head, neck, and fore part of the body almost 2 feet off the ground - sort of cobra-like. At that time her head was higher than mine and about three feet away as I was still mostly below her level on the steep ditch bank. Her tail was whiring like a rattler's. And that was the first time I'd heard the incredibly loud hiss they can make by blowing air against that vertical flap of cartilage at the opening of the larynx/trachea. Awesome! Caught her under the handle of my billhook. Took her into the shade and with my buddy's help we measured her against the bill hook handle (edge of haft to tip). She was two lengths plus three hands and one thumb. Turned out to be 6 foot, 11 inches. Biggest one I ever saw! When we released her she resumed her defiant coiled posture. Gutsy. When we'd backed off about twenty feet she dropped and took off with all due haste.

BobM, Bobbleton, Snakeman, anyone else? Anyone know what the confirmed size record for a pinesnake from the PBs is? I recall a record for the species as being a bit over eight feet and I think that was from a Georgia or South Carolina specimen.

Damn; I do miss herping in the PBs.

Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had that happen to me too Dave, in the middle of a sand road. He whirled into a coil, raised his head high and started hissing. It made me apprehensive. He did it so violently I thought he was going to hurt himself. He hissed for a good 2 minutes. I used a stick to lift him up and off the road so I could get by. When I drove past he made a lunge for my tire!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow, a 6' 11" pine snake is huge! I saw one once near route 72 near the Union clay works that I thought was near the 7' mark I was on my motorcycle and used the bike as a point of reference for length. I always figured I was overestimating because I did not know they exceeded 6'. Maybe he was closer to 7' after all. In most of my encounters with pine snakes, of which there have been many, they have seemed very docile. However I used to know some younger generation pineys in New Gretna who had just caught one and had it in a cat carrier type thing. They didn't tell me what was in the carrier and as I approached this thing started hissing like all Hell. I thought they had the Jersey Devil in there. It was very alarming. It was the kind of sound that forces a kind of instinctual reaction, you can't help but feel threatened.

Bob, I once saw a big rat snake lunge at a speeding pick up on the dirt part of Jackson rd. in Medford. Something about pick up trucks I guess.

Jeff

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Wow, you guys only run across snakes once in a blue moon and im finding them every week. And out of all the black rats i have found, all were very docile. When am i gonna run into one of those big mean ones to wrangle!! =D