Blizzard in March

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
My electrical went out so I decided to drive into the forest. I was stopped by the PP on Railroad Ave. They told me that a couple of people had to be rescued; couldn't get back out of the woods because of fallen trees, and strongly "suggested" that I not go in. I drove down Rt 206 to Johnson Rd, then to Batsto, the length of Washington Turnpike to Hawkins Bridge and out to Rt 563. Water was real high everywhere. Pics taken with my pocket cam.
blizzard_4.jpg
blizzard_1.jpg
blizzard_2.jpg
blizzard_3.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, now is the time to walk and not drive. It may be a while before things are back to semi normal.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A 4Runner Off-Road. I had a couple of tense moments though, and I am glad I did not drive down Railroad Ave-Batsto Fireline road.

The pics I posted last week were from Batsto-Fireline Road. I stopped just after Lock's Bridge and walked to Wescoat bogs from there.
Rain and snow have little effect on the water levels on that road because most of the regularly flooded areas are below the seasonal high water table. Basically, that road is a no-go for me from November until May and I drive either of two F-350's that I own, both with plenty of ground clearance.

Water is one factor and submerged spooky things in the holes are another. Here is what is lurking in the first big expanse of water past Lock's. Good for tie rod ends and ball joints.
IMG_2817.JPG

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I stopped just after Lock's Bridge and walked to Wescoat bogs from there.
Rain and snow have little effect on the water levels on that road because most of the regularly flooded areas are below the seasonal high water table. Basically, that road is a no-go for me from November until May and I drive either of two F-350's that I own, both with plenty of ground clearance.
That is a pretty long walk.

I drove to Wescoat on January 17 and it was very bad. I got out and walked a couple of puddles beyond Locks Bridge and decided to go on. After I made it through, all I could think about was, now I have to get back out.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is a pretty long walk.

I drove to Wescoat on January 17 and it was very bad. I got out and walked a couple of puddles beyond Locks Bridge and decided to go on. After I made it through, all I could think about was, now I have to get back out.
Most of those puddles have sandy bottoms and are do-able but I don't trust what I can't see, especially when traveling solo.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I have a 2016 Tacoma and though it's more practical all-around, my 1995 Ranger was unbreakable and could get into way tighter spots. Single cab was a problem though, as a daily driver. No place to store people or stuff out of the rain. Small trucks now are about as big as full-size trucks used to be.