Blueberry farm agrees to pay $45K for labor violations

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Just another reason why using illegal labor is good for no one...except for the employers.They make so much money off using illegal workers they can afford to pay fines and still buy a new Hummer H2 each year.
Fines aren't enough, they need to throw the folks that run these companies in jail for a couple of years.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This is the guy who has the camps right at the bend in Columbia Ave about 1/4 mile west of the airport.
He uses almost entirely Haitian labor and in the summer, that encampment looks to be way overcrowded. Apparently it was.
He just built a huge mansion behind his irrigation ponds a little east of the airport so times must still be good.

Oct 25, 2006
Just another reason why using illegal labor is good for no one...except for the employers.They make so much money off using illegal workers they can afford to pay fines and still buy a new Hummer H2 each year.
Fines aren't enough, they need to throw the folks that run these companies in jail for a couple of years.

I agree 100% on this,it's the old no american will do this job,it keeps the wages down,and i know if the feds raided the place where i work about 50% of the temporary workers would be deported back to where they came from!!!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
While it may seem like some big deal brought to light in print, this is no surprise. It's just the way it's been out there for countless years. While those folks are mentioned, they are far from the only violators. There is plenty of money in that town and don't think this is the only way it's maintained.

It's a shame really that one old home holds some real historical value and there it sits in the center of all that mess.

g.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have driven by that place dozens, if not hundreds of times and you're right - quite a crowd there in the summer. But that's just the tip of the iceberg, there are plenty more places like this...