Boardwalk Empire

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Well, the much ballyhooed series from HBO has had four episodes broadcast. Anybody else watching as I am? I find it a little slow but I have to say, having had family in Ocean City from the late 19th century, I absolutely love thinking of them being about Atlantic City while the events of this show are being depicted. The scenes that show signs with Hammonton and other towns from the pines just tap into my love of history.
Sure, the show is practically a twenties "Sopranos" with less action but I have to say, I love the fact it's set in New Jersey and it's set when my grandmother was in elementary school in Ocean City. The entire family must have thrilled to go into Atlantic City. It's a draw I find very hard to resist.
Anyone else watching?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, the much ballyhooed series from HBO has had four episodes broadcast. Anybody else watching as I am? I find it a little slow but I have to say, having had family in Ocean City from the late 19th century, I absolutely love thinking of them being about Atlantic City while the events of this show are being depicted. The scenes that show signs with Hammonton and other towns from the pines just tap into my love of history.
Sure, the show is practically a twenties "Sopranos" with less action but I have to say, I love the fact it's set in New Jersey and it's set when my grandmother was in elementary school in Ocean City. The entire family must have thrilled to go into Atlantic City. It's a draw I find very hard to resist.
Anyone else watching?

I did not even watch the real soprano's. I find it hard to be attentive to a series. Plus, I saw a partial Sopranos, and I always hated the gratuitous use of the "F" word.

But....when I retire, I'll probably buy the DVDs of a few I could not find the time for while working.....this sounds like a good one. Are they slinging curse words around mud?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Yes, I've been watching it. Absolutely a bit slow at times. I loved the scene on one of early episodes of the "Hammonton" sign and it was the dirt road, the only major road to get through the area.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Haven't watched it. I don't watch TV at all, just BluRay and DVD's. Can't get cable out here in the woods. Was going to get a satellite dish when I moved here, but after a couple weeks with no TV reception, I realized I didn't miss it and also realized how much more time I had available for other things.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
I watch it every week, usually On-Demand when I'm awake late at night with the baby. Funny, though, because I just said to my husband yesterday how the show is fairly boring, but that I love the scenery.

If only Atlantic City were still the same... Well, minus the criminals, I guess. :)

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I watch it every week, usually On-Demand when I'm awake late at night with the baby. Funny, though, because I just said to my husband yesterday how the show is fairly boring, but that I love the scenery.

If only Atlantic City were still the same... Well, minus the criminals, I guess. :)

Don't worry... the criminals are still running wild in AC. It's just not boot-legging this time.