Bobcats may be making comeback

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
A state wildlife expert says a recent bobcat sighting is more evidence that the endangered animal may be making a comeback in New Jersey., A Boonton man was in his yard recently when he saw a large cat emerge from behind a tree. John Locke soon realized it was not a common house cat but a bobcat, an animal that used to proliferate in the state. Mick Valent, the state Department of Environmental Protection's chief zoologist, tells the Daily Record of Parsippany (http://dailyre.co/13lmxpf) the bobcat is a native species in New Jersey that lives primarily west of Interstate 287 and north of Interstate 80.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20130727_ap_6f75c80623774c1495125dee9a8aa03c.html#EArmWzOTftRKXck4.99

JohnD.

Apr 19, 2012
Dorchester, NJ
A group of us found a number of tracks following smaller mammal tracks in the area around Wharton SF about 20 years back. Also a friend of mine has VERY GOOD video of a Bobcat sunning itself in the middle of a dirt road in Cape May county. There have also been many sightings of Bobcat in a specific area of Cumberland county for years. They were never completely killed off here in South Jersey.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
John could you post the video? Would love to see that.

I saw one about 10 years back in maurice river township. Also had track down there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The photo's in the video on the Asbury Park Press show that it is most certainly a Bobcat.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Bobcats are coming back. . I have never seen one in my life and for the first time this past October I saw one in Wharton.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you are fortunate enough to see one, F&W is asking that you contact them.

Have You Seen This Cat?

New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife wants your help
by reporting bobcat sightings so we can better understand
the size, distribution and genetic structure of our bobcat
population.

Contact Fish and Wildlife if you have observed a bobcat.

Live sightings
—Complete a brief sighting report form:
www.NJFishandWildlife.com/ensp/pdf/rptform.pdf
Also, send us your trailcam photos! Data from south Jersey is of particular interest.

Dead on the road
—call us at (908) 638-4127. We will record the location and retrieve the carcass for genetic sampling.

Accidentally trapped
—call our Trapper Response Team at (908) 763-5994 so that we can first obtain genetic samples then release the cat safely.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Yes 46er that is from the digest correct? My friend did notify them of the sighting using the instructions from the digest.