visited all the cemeteries he tells about and I found a definite
total of 40. He counted headstones and footstones individually, as I
did. The article is fascinating and I recommend all members find a
copy of this particular bulletin of the Society. Here is a link to
the Society's website: http://home.earthlink.net/~glattanzi/asnj/
The Cumberland Methodist Cemetery has the most markers, at 22. They
can also be seen at the Weymouth Methodist Cemetery and the
Batsto/Pleasant Mills Methodist Cemetery. There are also a handful of
other cemeteries that have just one or two each.
The Cumberland Methodist church and cemetery are, apparently, all that's left of the town that grew up around the Cumberland Ironworks. It was also known as Budd's Ironworks. The church and cemetery are on Route 49 just east of Millville in Cumberland County.
This is just one fascination aspect of the Pine Barrens.
Thanks,
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Barry,

Have you or anyone else noticed that there is what appears to be a cemetery on Carranza Memorial road in someone's side yard. Heading from Tabernacle toward the memorial on the left side, I first noticed years ago what I thought was cemetery stones. On a recent trip I felt certain that they were. Does anyone have any information on them, if it actually is a cemetery?

Guy

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Guy, I have never seen that cemetery. Sounds interesting.
I'm very surprised that this post about bog iron gravemarkers didn't get any responses. I thought the article about them was quite fascinating. These gravemarkers constitute a very little-known aspect of the iron-making history of our Pine Barrens. The fact that so few exist is very interesting too. Cumberland has 22 of them. Weymouth has 6 and Batsto/Pleasant Mills has 8. There are two of them in the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Millville and one in the cemetery of the Second Cape May Baptist Church, which is on Route 9 just outside of Marmora. I think it's called Seaview Cemetery.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I find walking through old cemeteries interesting, but possibly many people don't. That may be a reason why you did not get a response. Who knows..

It seems that most of the members of this site and your site have their own agenda. Each person has a particular part of the pines that they enjoy or have interest in. The Calico subject really seems to get the hits, while other areas don't. Hopefully the interest will peak on other subjects such as iron grave markers.

In regards to the cemetery on Carranza road, I am not sure what it really is. It looks like one to me, but I was hoping someone else would have some info on it. I can't give an exact location of which property I saw them in so that does not help much. I may have time on Sunday to head out that way and investigate. If I do I will get some photo's and post them. I live near Haddonfield so it is a bit of a drive, but worth it to find out what it really is.

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Well, you can count me among the cemetery enthusiasits! My park offers at least one old graveyard tour a year, in addition to the many other historical and environmentally oriented van tours. The graveyard tours are always well attended. We always point out the iron markers at the cemetaries that have them. People usually find them fascinating.

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Barry,

You need to know something. Although not a lot of us respond to your posts, I for one love to read them and find your enthusiasm contagious. Please don't ever stop because no one responds. You carry the torch for all of us. We all love the pines (I hope I speak for all), but you have a unique way of showing it that is all at once true, informative, and refreshing.

Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

They have erected a sign at the cemetery that I noticed on Carranza road. I walked around it today and found that it is an active cemetery with recent burial's. It is only about a mile or two from Tabernacle on Carranza road next to a green house. A photo of the sign can be viewed below.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/Cemetery.jpg

Guy

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
This drama about the cemetery sign is interesting. It's neat how someone will see something, pass on information, and others respond. I don't always respond to posts but just read them, as I don't always have something to say (believe it or not). Sometimes I'll respond later and sometimes I won't read all posts or log on, as I am either not online or I am doing something else online.

I recently discovered the Carrazanza Memorial. I hiked the Batona Trail, starting from Carrazana Road near the railroad tracks and heading towards Lower Forge, which is too long for a day hike round trip. I am more interested in old railroads than I am in graveyards, having lived and walked railroad tracks in my childhood and adulthood. As William Worthworth wrote "The child is father of the man."

I found a cemetery accidentally at Greenbank, which is a short drive down the road from Basto Village. I was attracted to Greenbank because I pictured large trees near the river banks. The river area was okay but not as nice as I thought it would be. I stopped at the picnic area, and believing there was more to the area, I followed the road past a church at the edge of a trail that runs through the woods. Just past the church, and bordering the woods is a cemetery. I don't remember the name of it but some group or society has a sign up at the cemetery.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Sorry about his empty message. I caught a mistake just as I was posting the above message, hit the stop, backed up, corrected the mistake and resubmitted the post. But it was not in time so I double posted. Just wish I wasn't so technologically challenged and could always type zero typos!

I had to modify again because of a typo! Must have alot on my mind!

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Jeff,
That's the Green Bank Methodist Church and the Green Bank Methodist Cemetery. It's one of only 3 cemeteries still in use in the entire township. A lot of people that Father Beck talked to in Green Bank are buried there.