bombing range

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
i have read a few older articles on the bombing range but nothing recent , i was out passed martha last night doing some exploreing in areas i dont get to visit so much and since we were so close to the back side of the range it had me curious ,i heard it was shut down for a while but then reopend, is it in use today ? i heard at one time you can drive up to the gate off 539 and watch the planes practice , i also heard years ago you could possably take a tour of the place , i would love to go there and check it out if at all possable and maybe learn a little history on the place

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can always drive to the gate and watch them. I have not been there in a while when they were actually using the place. But they are using it and the gate has been open a few times when I went there.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
You can always drive to the gate and watch them. I have not been there in a while when they were actually using the place. But they are using it and the gate has been open a few times when I went there.

Guy
ok cool thanks , do they use it often ? i dont wanna drive there and sit there all day waiting for a plane to come by and never does haha:bang:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I usually just catch them when I am in the area and hear them. I don't know when the best time is.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
ok thanks , hopefully ill catch em one day , i used to see em flying all the time but never got to see em practice bombing

Might want to give the 177th public affairs office a call for information; 609-645-6005

When the range was re-opened, no incendiary devices were to be used. Don't know if that has changed or not.

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
The main base and the range are closed on mondays. There is an observation deck for public visitors. If the gates are closed and there is flying operations going on, do not get discouraged, it is because the planes are using (IR) Infrared lasers and the general public can't be on the range.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Everyone needs to keep in mind you just can't drive past the gate if it is open. I was told by the man grading the road not to go past the gate at any time without permission. So if you don't have permission park in the parking area just before the gate and watch from there.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Everyone needs to keep in mind you just can't drive past the gate if it is open. I was told by the man grading the road not to go past the gate at any time without permission. So if you don't have permission park in the parking area just before the gate and watch from there.

Guy
yea i would assume it wouldnt be a good idea just drive right out onto a bombing range

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
I will make a call on thursday, my next day at work on the base and confirm that visitors can park in the paved parking lot. I do know that all visitors must check in at the range building.