Boots?

B

bach2yoga

I mentioned before that I am doing the PPA's 3 day Batona trail hike in April.
I need recommendations as to what to look for in boots...the boots I have now are find for trails, and day hikes, but I need something a little better and able to withstand wet/swamps, and comfortable for longer hikes. Any suggestions as to brands, or what to look for or not to look for, anyone?
Thanks,
Renee

MontanaKayaker

Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I believe you get what you pay for in boots. A good pair of hiking boots can make your hike fun and comfortable. My preference is a pair of Danner leather Gore Tex ankle high for about $130. Where I live it's essential that you protect your feet or it may become a life or death situation. Don't skimp on what you pay to protect your feet. Have a great trip.

Jim

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
Hi Renee,
The Best Boot For Spring Hiking,when Its Wet, Are The Llbean Combo Boot..........leather On Top,rubber On The Bottom..........wear A Heavy Sock With Them To Improve The Loose Fit..........you Can Wear Them All Year But A Heavier Shoe Is Better .............if You Buy A Hiking Shoe,use Water Repellent Spray On Them Each Time You Go Out............i Just Buy A Cheap Pair Of Work Boots.........and Spray Them,and Wax Them Each Month...............hope The Family Is Well And Growing............hows That Home Schoolin Going.........press On,strom

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I know its a little past this topics time, but I love talking gear. In the Pines I wouldn't worry so much about nice boots. The flat terrain and lack of any real trail impediments makes for easy hikes. I would just as soon wear light cheap hikers with gaiters then put out a mint buying and expensive new pair. I even wear sneakers on occasion without any complaints.

If however, you do some rambling outside of the Pines an expensive pair of boots may be in order. I wear hightec Altitude boots. Really light weight, water proof, oil proof, rip stop outer sole. I do a lot of hiking in the torturous Pennsy Mts., were normal boots meet an early grave:D , and my hitecs have past the test. After a year and half, and over 1000 trail miles, they are still in great shape.