Botany and Healing

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Weird that in the link, if you click on the authors name, the book finally appears.

I never read it. I'll bet most of it is lore, and half of it is a stretch.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
https://www.amazon.com/Botany-Healing-Medicinal-Plants-Jersey/dp/1422392783
Has anyone ever read this book? Sounds good.Odd,it's been out almost 20 years and I"ve never heard of it.

Many of the newer medications had their origins in plants. Years ago there was a mad rush to discover them. Company I worked for was heavy into exploration of the possibilities in the rainforests. Native-Americans probably were one of the first natural pharmacists.

http://profwork.org/bate/reports/rf_home.html

Reactions: manumuskin

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Weird that in the link, if you click on the authors name, the book finally appears.

I never read it. I'll bet most of it is lore, and half of it is a stretch.

I agree. We have several similar books at work and most seem to be merely citing someone else's claims in order to get something published. Al's statement is certainly true regarding some of the plants and their associated cures, but a claimed benefit from a plant should be able to stand up to the same degree of testing that one synthesized in a laboratory does. Many supposed "cures" were based on part of the plant resembling the afflicted human body part. That should tell you something right there. ;)

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ve made Sumachade,Sassafras tea,Dandelion/Chicory coffee,Yarrow tea and chickweed tea. I"ll see what else I can find in this book to dose myself with.I had a friend once who unknowingly wiped himself with Poison Ivy,I"ll try not to repeat his mistake.He said He had stinky fingers for two weeks!And thast a true story:)

Reactions: bobpbx