Boulevard

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In which I go out to see the morning,

and ramble on as usual.

Take a ride through the Pine Barrens in the wee hours of darkness on the way to a favored location. Even in the blackness of night or soft glow of the coming morn', there is much to marvel at. I'm reminded of a boy some 30+ years ago that did just that almost every free Saturday morning the summer offered. Out early before light of day in the truck with mom and dad on the way to a favored crabbing spot, just between Rand's and Mike's, where the pipes came in. He would doze and gaze at the same time. Back then due to the times and his parent's tastes, the radio played the likes of Loretta Lynn, Ronnie Milsap, Barbara Mandrell, Kenny Rogers and the like. The Music, ethereal background sound to the dozing boy.
Leaving home Saturday morning I headed East, "heeding the path to take me to that place", I would return again. Crossing the Wading River bridge in the space between dark and the light of day, a picture. Passing by Crowleytown I mused a lyric as to ask old man Crowley "What went on in your head?" Passing through New Gretna it occured to me that "I've been waiting such a long time, for Saturday" Turn right off 9 onto the Blvd and the air, and the world begins to change. The day is comin' but not quite yet. Over a bridge that sight rings true.
BOULEVARD_002.JPG

BOULEVARD_003.JPG

Getting better as I go.
BOULEVARD_006.JPG

The Stinkhouse in the waning darkness a looming hulk off in the distance looking like a sleeping elephant alone on an island. Boy, are those last two crossings narrow. At the end, the evening's moisture still lies beaded on the grasses.
BOULEVARD_012.JPG

BOULEVARD_013.JPG

The morning will come and send it away. Not yet,
BOULEVARD_020.JPG

but soon,
BOULEVARD_022.JPG

A walk to the beach reveals what I've been waiting for. The beauty of the water and the waves and the quiet day before the boats come out racing and lapping the water's enroute to their favorite spots. There are fisher people off at water's edge in the meadow taking advantage of the hour.
The waves camly lapping at the shore in the increasing light.
BOULEVARD_018.JPG

This is the only time to reflect, away from the parties and picnics, the weekend sales, traffic, and madness of a holiday forgotten to meaning.
I think about all the people who served and gave all so that I have the freedom to put foot on this beach today, and for the fisher people who can cast their rods on this very shore. My children, I hold so dear and can know that were born to a place made safe by countless thousands who wanted that very thing for their children and children's children. They can go so far and do so much in this life and this country and there are many to thank for it. I can only hope so many people can be as thankful and never forget what Memorial Day really means, every single day of the year.
It occurs to me as the day comes there are birds of so many in variety and voice their numbers are almost overwhelming as my thoughts return to the place and time I'm in. They've begun the day's chores and are a treat to watch as they attack their many agendas as instinct dictates. Many regard me in passing or as I near them and their voices, looks,and tones all seem to send the same selfish message. This is their place, I'm just a guest, and I'm encouraged not to overstay my welcome.
The morning is beginning to come.
BOULEVARD_031.JPG

my visit is paying off.
BOULEVARD_032.JPG

I walk the beach a little to pass the moments and employ a little "walk in, carry out" effort to make up for the carelessness of others.
Here now, what I've come to see has come to see me back.
BOULEVARD_037.JPG

BOULEVARD_038.JPG

The boats have begun to come and provide many droning sounds and that slapping of hull to water, adding to the audio of my trip in a way that makes me a little sad. Who am I to resent their presence? It is a free country right? I hope they think about that while they enjoy their freedoms. I'll just be pleased with the fact that I was able just for a little while to enjoy the very still quiet of the background channels here and the pleasant sound that comes from waning or waxing tide.
I silently offer joy to any that are enjoying themselves so much as I right now. I walk the marsh a little bit my ownself.
BOULEVARD_051.JPG

BOULEVARD_056.JPG

A man has let his dog run and it regards me with some interest but before it can satisfy any curiousities, it is called back.
Well, the morning has come.
BOULEVARD_042.JPG

BOULEVARD_046.JPG

BOULEVARD_047.JPG

BOULEVARD_055.JPG

My time to go has come. Batteries recharged.
There are many fisher people laden with gear on kayaks on the inland channels. I silently bid them luck as they embark on the day.
A stop on one of the inland beaches reveals signs of mating time for the Horseshoe crab. There are four pair still at it and I do not photo them. Would I want that done to me? I regard them all as "empassioned lovers, wrestling as one". Sorry, got a little Moody there. There are signs of dozens of others that were on the beach last night, their twisting trails of chase all about the place looking like children's doodles. I play a lyric in my head again, "slow motion riders", as I think about how love eventually prevails. There are two singles floundering upside down also and I right them to spare them wasted time. There are the unfortunate signs of lovers of another species on the beach as well. An ignorant species and as I view their leavings I find myself thinking about the poor biodegradability of latex.
I'm going now and missing the place already as I turn back on to 9.
A stop is in order to top off the morning and in New Gretna I choose to take breakfast in a Clam Bar, befitting of my trip. The inside is rich in local artifact of both the Seaman and Baymen alike but I opt for an outside table. I want to continue to see the day before the shore traffic invades 9 and the quiet is welcome. The only sound really as I relaxed was the outside speaker sharing with me, ironically country music, though not the likes of the 1970's tunes the boy listened to in the truck. The breakfast is surprisingly generous even though light and all in, $4.55. The pleasant setting and good feeling made it all the more easy to pass the table girl a ten spot, thank her for her time, bid her well, and walk away. Sadly enough as I leave, Toby Keith on the radio tells me how he "lost her anyway".
The ride home is not quite complete without a short visit to Batso and while the sun was a little warm out in the open, the light breezes present in the shade of the many majestic trees made it cool and inviting.
A little look at the dining setting.
BOULEVARD_067.JPG

Always gives me a funny feeling crossing under this and coming out the other side.

BOULEVARD_070.JPG

On the way home I began to think about the place I'd been and how it was almost like a second home to the boy in those wondrous years. Time and age really can steal that from a person but as I passed through Chewtown on the way home, Jon Bon was on the radio reminding me, "who says you can't go home?".

So I went out to see the morning that day,

BOULEVARD_048.JPG

And it was good. Thanks for reading.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Nice report and pictures. when I was a kid we called that area 7 bridges road.

As did we, actually to us it was always just "seven bridges". As time passes it seems there are fewer and fewer people that even know that name. More than likely a whole lot of the folk that live in the monstrosities built near the beginning of that very stretch or road now. Development continues to chip away at a beautiful place and bring more ignorance with it.

g.

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you George for posting and sharing about Great Bay Boulevard, for 23 years when i had my boat docked at Cap't Mike's, it was never a boring trip once i made the turn from Rt.9 at the Indian Statue onto the Boulevard, it was a different adventure each and every time.

I haven't been back to the old Marina since last Summer, now with your pics and verbiage i will be returning there shortly.

Jim

George:

Only the spectacular and wonderous photographs you included in your message outshine the beauty of your prose! As I’ve said before—you do have a way with words, my friend! I know the trip refreshed your fond memories of days gone by and I hope it also renewed your soul.

Thanks for posting!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As always, your posts rank up there with the best of them, if not the best! Well done George!

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Jim,
The Indian for me will always stand tall and proud in my memory. A silent sentinel to the area and the sign that I'm just about there.

Oji,
I take you along everywhere I go, that in the smallest walk I'll bring you back the joy it renders in the written word.

g.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
In which I go out to see the morning,

and ramble on as usual.

. . . Here now, what I've come to see has come to see me back . . .

So I went out to see the morning that day,

And it was good.

g.

Your "ramble" is a good read, Largo. Thank you for the glimpse into your thoughts and memories.

Glo

Oct 25, 2006
George

Correct me if i am wrong, but my first Marina owner at Cap't Mike's was named George, and he stated that the original intent of Seven Bridges Road was to have another bridge to go from the end of Great Bay Boulevard to an island called Little Beach, then another span to transverse over to Brigantine.

But, it was either Little Egg Harbor or Brigantine that nixed the idea for worry about increased traffic, it was supposed to be a shortcut to Atlantic City.

Jim

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Thanks for evoking some fond memories from my childhood.

Often in the summer, a local neighbor would throw a bunch of us city boys into the back of a pickup before the sun was up for a drive down to Rands where he would rent a garvey for the day. Those old stubborn inboard engines that seemed to always fail and a washtub with a block of ice surrounded by massive amounts of blowfish we would catch off of the stinkhouse.

It wouldn't be until this past year when I came upon this site that I wandered back to learn about the old fish factory and its connection to the area and Pines.

Thanks so much for sharing your day!

Bill

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George:
As I’ve said before—you do have a way with words, my friend! I know the trip refreshed your fond memories of days gone by and I hope it also renewed your soul.
Thanks for posting!
Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,
As you know, I was immensely fond of your 1823 trip article. It was thought provoking, and inspirational. I could only hope to reach a point where I can inject such romanticism into an outing. My mere few hours described does not compare to the story you shared. I only but try to leave these good people something well met when I share with them. The old speak and the old pen has so much more to offer than that of today. I've read over that article a few times and find a new treat each time. It was in my mind Saturday rest assured. Yes, it was needed time and did refresh.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Timeless George. Very well done. Where have you been? I've missed your postings.

Thank you Robert.
I've been a little far off so to speak. Collecting myself. Enjoying your work all the while. I'm back.
Resident Lout and all around Ballbreaker, at your service.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I enjoyed the report George, and those photos are spectacular. You know, it seems as though so many of the people I meet are oblivious to such beauty. I sometimes wonder how many others appreciate such things with more than just a passing glance. Reading your report gives me comfort in the knowledge that there are kindred spirits.

Jeff

BTW: I often hear that Ozzy song in my head when I pass Crowley's landing too.