Box Turtle ID(moved from Webbs Mill Thread)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I didn't want to hijack Hewey's thread so here are some pictures of male box turtles versus females.

Male Box,

Notice the red eye move towards pink/white as it gets toward the pupil. Also notice the larger squarer head, with larger bill/beak,

box034_03.jpg

box030_01.jpg

IMG_8990.jpg

IMG_6754.jpg

Red Eyed Female, notice the smaller head not as square,

B4-F3.jpg

B10-F3.jpg

C7-F3.jpg

Other ways to tell the difference are based on the back of the shell. Females is straight down and the male has a bit of a lip on it.

Reactions: dogg57

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Nice Pics as always Chris:) ! . The 3rd one down is a real beaut I have found 2 in the last 5 days on major roads here .Talk to you soon.
Joe O'C

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
and if you flip it over you should be able to tell by the plastron.Males have an indentation usually to keep them from rolling off while they engage in the turtle version of the wild thing.Female plastrons are of course flat.I don't know as this effect is so pronounced in other turtle species I've never noticed it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I ran into Ed this morning which was a nice surprise. We were able to see his very tired dog :) Then we picked up the cooler from our PBX hike, and then I met up with Ben for some exploring. I am glad we could hook up today Ben. Anyway, we found two box turtles early in the day and here is one of them. It is a female from my deductions. She was very high strung and had one large hole for a nose :)

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7738.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy your right she is a female. They get a little excitable prior to laying eggs, its one of the few times they'll try to get away from you and won't go in their shell.