Boyd's 2018 Garmin Topo available again (limited time only)

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
As discussed here

I like Boyd's map of NJ 2018 in basecamp. It has the roads portrayed realistically, not as straight lines. Even the smaller dead end roads which I explore. Also minimal topographic clutter.

I'm making this map available again since there still seems to be some interest and a related topic came up over at GPSFileDepot. It should be compatible with most (if not all) Garmin automotive and handheld GPS devices and includes very detailed installation/use instructions. This map will only be available for a very short time, so get it now if you want it, it will not be coming back again.

If the NJDEP goes through with their plan to close roads and require permits, I will discontinue all of my own maps that show unpaved roads on state land. The roads on my maps are largely based on aerial imagery and it's likely that motorized access will not be allowed on many of them. I just don't want any liability for that, so I'm out. I'll continue to offer USGS Topo's, aerial imagery and LIDAR terrain, but will remove all of my own maps that show roads.

Anyway, here's my 2018 NJ Topo. There are separate versions for Windows and the Macintosh plus a third version that only contains the map file for the GPS itself. Use the GPS version if you don't want to install the map on your computer. You could also use the GPS version in conjunction with the Windows or Mac versions, because it's easier to just drag the file to your GPS instead of using Garmin's terrible MapInstall software. :D

Mac Version for installation in Basecamp:
https://boydsmaps.com/download/nj2018mac.zip

Windows Version for installation in Basecamp and Mapsource:
https://boydsmaps.com/download/nj2018win.zip

File Version for direct installation on the GPS only:
https://boydsmaps.com/download/nj2018gps.zip

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Looking pretty on the Oregon. This will be nice to have in the bag for reassurance out of cell range. Beats the pants off of the default maps.

A7408380.jpg

My old waypoints have reminded me of the sheer number of geocaches that used to exist in Wharton, in the good old days...

Thanks for reposting these.

Reactions: Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I actually can't believe it, but it works on the trusty old eTrex as well.

A7408383.jpg

Is it slow? Very. But I bought this in about 2002 and it still works and now has maps from 2018 on it. I was able to fit ~90% of Wharton in the 8MB memory. Really cool!

• Wow

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Cool! :cool: Guess that model can't use memory cards? I had an eTrex Legend C (their first version with a color screen) back around the same time but it accepted microSD cards. I never liked that little joystick on the eTrex, it was too easy to press it accidentally in your pocket, I'd pull it out and find a bunch of waypoints were created that way as I walked.

Are you using the 60csx .typ file that I included (see the help file)? It makes the display a little more clear on these old devices.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Cool! :cool: Guess that model can't use memory cards? I had an eTrex Legend C (their first version with a color screen) back around the same time but it accepted microSD cards. I never liked that little joystick on the eTrex, it was too easy to press it accidentally in your pocket, I'd pull it out and find a bunch of waypoints were created that way as I walked.

Are you using the 60csx .typ file that I included (see the help file)? It makes the display a little more clear on these old devices.

Nope, no memory cards here. This does not even have USB, it is a serial interface. I have a cable with a PL2303 serial adapter built into it. It took about 30 minutes to transfer the map at 9600 baud.

I am not using the 60csx file - I figured it didn't really matter too much to change the palette to optimize for a 256-color display, when this thing is so ancient it only has grayscale! It could be that the line formatting might be better with the alternate style, I'm not sure. This already looks great to me, it's just the slow processor speed that would make this tedious to actually use. I mostly just wanted to see if it would actually work.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's something that might also be of interest. There are some sample waypoints available for download here (it's a very small file)

https://boydsmaps.com/download/wpts.zip

Unzip the file and click the waypoint (flag) button in the desktop version of boydsmaps.

flag.png

If you don't already have any waypoints loaded, you will see this dialog - click Import.

none.png

If you already have waypoints loaded, you will need to click the gear button at the top left of the waypoint spreadsheet. Click the Import button (this will erase any waypoints you currently have loaded, so be sure to export them first if you want to keep them!)

gear.png

On the import screen choose Import boydsmaps file and then choose the file named nj-park-poi-south.txt

import.png

You'll now have the full set of 1240 NJDEP waypoints in the Pines. They include things like parking areas, campgrounds, restrooms, historic POI, park facilities, trailheads.... lots of stuff. The parking areas are interesting, some of them seem more like "wide spots in the road", was surprised to find them in a NJDEP dataset.

spreadsheet.png

If you'd like to use these on your Garmin GPS, click the gear button again and choose export. Press the GPX button to save a compatible file.

export.png

Older Garmin devices may not be able to use waypoint files this big, I seem to recall a 500 waypoint limit on some devices. You might want to import the GPX file into Garmin Basecamp (or Mapsource) where you can delete waypoints you don't want.

If you don't want to keep the waypoints in the boydsmaps app, press the gear button again and click the trash can button to clear them (big waypoint files can slow the app down).

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Thanks, I managed to load the maps on my handheld GPS64 and my old Nuvi 2400-something. I plan on using it the next time I get out there. With this rain, that’s probably not until the third or fourth week of October. :(