Boyd's Map of the Pines 2020 is now online

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
After six months and hundreds of hours, I have decided to call this map "done"! There's always a list of things that could be improved on every map I've made and this is no exception. But eventually it's time to just "go with it". However, I have paid more attention to detail on this map and developed a system of proof-reading it in blocks of one square mile each - which took FAR longer than I ever imagined.

This has been my most complex map project to date. One new feature you'll notice is all the buildings, I won't claim that it has every building... but it's close. If you live somewhere in the region, you'll probably be able to find your house. Buildings are shown at zoom levels 14 through 17 and come from the following sources:

1,775,421 buildings from Microsoft's open source AI-generated dataset
11,898 buildings that I personally traced from aerials
1,180 buildings from OpenStreetMap

There are also 4,419 hand-traced historical buildings which are shown in lavender. These are "things that aren't there anymore" - either ruins, cellar holes or perhaps nothing at all. They only appear at zoom levels 16 and 17.

When you zoom in to level 17 you'll also see a total of 1,436,499 tax parcels (NJ only).

Zoom levels 15 through 17 also show full landcover which includes things like the type and density of trees, agriculture, sand pits, grassy areas, wetlands, cranberry bogs, salt marshes and more. This will all be documented soon, but for now, the easiest way to figure out what the symbols mean is probably just to switch to an aerial for reference.

Quite a lot of work was also done on unpaved roads, replacing hundreds of miles of inaccurate old data with new hand-traced HD roads. If you look closely, you'll notice that some unpaved roads have a bit brighter color than others. The brighter ones are from the USGS 24k topo maps, since some people attach a special significance to this kind of road. The difference is pretty subtle and you may not notice. This was intentional because it's "work in progress" that is not really complete yet.

unpaved.png

You'll also notice roads that are represented with lavender dotted lines. These are historical roads from USGS and other historical topo maps and it was not clear from the aerials whether they are currently passible.

historical.png

Now, the style of this map is very different but I was getting a little bored of the traditional topo map look and also had the goal of more clarity, especially with regard to public openspace (green-shaded areas). This map uses the March 2020 version of NJDEP's openspace dataset, which contains thousands of additional acres of parks, forests and WMA's compared to my "Map of the Pines HD". I have also included NJDEP's March 2020 trail dataset with POI's for parking, campsites, boat launches, picnic areas and bathrooms.

I will leave it to you to discover all the other new features, but this map is a huge increase in detail and accuracy over my "Map of the Pines HD" and it also covers a larger area (all the way North to interstate 195).

You can start out with a view of the whole region here

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#9/39.5227/-74.8718/pines2020

region.png

Then just drag the map to an area of interest and zoom way in to level 17 to see everything

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.89498/-74.32413/pines2020

columbus.png

Couple other notes: unless you have set a custom home location, you'll be taken to this new map when you click the BOYDS MAPS link here at NJPB. And if you have not yet created your own list of favorite maps, the default will be a list similar to NJPB maps, but with additional years of aerials and topo's. You can access the favorites by clicking on the heart icon.

favorites.png

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions or problems. I just finished uploading everything and revising the code, so I may have missed something along the way.

Last edited: